Buds pro vs Kz ast
Mar 4, 2023 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ikoscallisto

New Head-Fier
I want to ask an odd question. I'm using Galaxy buds pro and I want to switch to kz ast, my purpose of switching is just what kind of sound performance the 12 luminaire will give. Do you think there is a difference between Buds pro and it is worth going through?

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 5
I want to ask an odd question. I'm using Galaxy buds pro and I want to switch to kz ast, my purpose of switching is just what kind of sound performance the 12 luminaire will give. Do you think there is a difference between Buds pro and it is worth going through?
Felt a need to reply since we're Buds Pro buddies. Jokes aside, I bought them solely based off Crinacle's review (and also because of the awesome violet color!). Preface: I don't know a lot about the AST and I don't own an IEM with more than 2 drivers per side. One of the rules about IEMs is that higher driver count doesn't instantly mean better performance. Tuning is more of a factor over transducer count. Yes, TOTLs usually have many driver types and amounts, and I believe crossover plays a big role. Physically, adding a lot of drivers in one tiny space won't be as effective as buying more speakers (drivers) and adding them around the room.

In the end, it is more-so about tuning. The Buds Pro are Harman neutral and the AST looks V-shaped, fairly typical for a KZ. Try out the different signatures via EQ and see if you like it. If you trust Crinacle's rankings like I do, that would put the Buds Pro at a B+ overall. Looking at the rankings for multi-driver KZs, most of them score near the C category albeit the AST isn't in the bunch. I would suggest not going through but if the experience and knowledge (zenith) is worth the price: be my guest.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Felt a need to reply since we're Buds Pro buddies. Jokes aside, I bought them solely based off Crinacle's review (and also because of the awesome violet color!). Preface: I don't know a lot about the AST and I don't own an IEM with more than 2 drivers per side. One of the rules about IEMs is that higher driver count doesn't instantly mean better performance. Tuning is more of a factor over transducer count. Yes, TOTLs usually have many driver types and amounts, and I believe crossover plays a big role. Physically, adding a lot of drivers in one tiny space won't be as effective as buying more speakers (drivers) and adding them around the room.

In the end, it is more-so about tuning. The Buds Pro are Harman neutral and the AST looks V-shaped, fairly typical for a KZ. Try out the different signatures via EQ and see if you like it. If you trust Crinacle's rankings like I do, that would put the Buds Pro at a B+ overall. Looking at the rankings for multi-driver KZs, most of them score near the C category albeit the AST isn't in the bunch. I would suggest not going through but if the experience and knowledge (zenith) is worth the price: be my guest.
I've been researching headphones for a very long time and I know what they said is true, but hearing 12 luminaires was exciting. Well, do you have any other monitor earphones or over-the-ear headphones that you recommend me to go through buds pro, my friend?

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 5
I've been researching headphones for a very long time and I know what they said is true, but hearing 12 luminaires was exciting. Well, do you have any other monitor earphones or over-the-ear headphones that you recommend me to go through buds pro, my friend?
That all depends on your budget and how far you are willing to go. If you care to do so, I suggest looking into more reviewers (Precog, Aminus, BGGAR, etc) and trying to know them better. Find out what music they listen to and what sound signatures they prefer. There are some inherent traits of an IEM that are different than headphones or speakers, hence why people call it comparing "apples to oranges".

The Buds Pro are a competent set regardless of being wireless. Ask yourself: What am I missing from the Buds Pro, sonically and as a product? My answer would be that I would like less mid/upper bass. Also, the soundstage/separation is something that any IEM could use some work on. As for a product, they fall out of my ears often, ANC could be better, the touch controls are quite sensitive, foreign tip shape, and sqeaky case hinge. Do you want more of a V-shaped signature? If so, maybe consider disregarding Crinacle's rankings.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Hey,

Did you end up getting the ASTs?

I've had a pair for a bit over a year. I also have the AS16 Pro, which also sound fantastic. Both are fantastic if you want to hear every detail of your music.

There is very little acoustic difference between difference between AST & AS16 Pro. I have narrow ear canal, and the AS16 Pro has a wide enough nozzle to be a problem for my ear shape. So the cheaper model is the better choice out of the current Balanced Armature KZ options if you have an average or wide ear canal. KZ's wireless hooks are a good solution to make them TWS... just no ANC yet. Word is the AZ10 or newer are powerful enough to drive planar IEMs. The AZ09 Pro can't drive the Pr1 or Pr1 Pros well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back