Budgetissimo speaker system
Dec 22, 2001 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pierre Lambion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm willing to compose a small speaker system for the bedroom. Small room, low volume needed (I currently have a 18w microsystem that never goes over 25% of volume).

It will be used for some acoustic guitar, a bit of jazz and lot of classical. Many of my classical CDs are old recordings so I might not need something too revealing and analytical. I would rather tend towards musicality.

I'm looking into getting one of the following as speakers:
- Acoustic energy aegis one
- Mission M71
- Kef cresta2
- Jamo E410
(any recommandation on those?)

--> What source and amp should I get?

I'm tempted by the small and compact Teac CR-H100 (2x20W at 8 omhs). Small size is good as I cannot put a full hifi furniture in the room. It is cheap as well. It has a single remote and a tuner.

An alternative would be to buy (cheap) separate components. For instance:
+ CDP Marantz CD4000
+ Amp Rotel ra931mkII (2x35w)
It would be a bit more expensive and more bulky.

What is your opinion on that? The Teac seems to be a good choice in its category. How would it compare to cheap separate components or maybe micro separate components (there are some Onkyo, Yamaha and Technics one now)? Is there a large difference on musicality and reliability?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers,

Pierre

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 12
OK, sorry for this. I just thought I should not neglect some advice from the folks here.

I also posted on audioasylum but I'm looking at so low budget stuff that I'm afraid that I will be out of topic there as well.

I will try Hifichoice.

P.

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 12
The Marantz CD4000 is a very nice player for the money.
Stereophile just reviewed the NAD C370 integrated amp. It has a sound that leans more towards the musical side. Also, it's a great piece for expandablity.
The Phase Technology Teatro series are very nice musical sounding speakers. I have heard tweeters 3 times the price that sounded worse. Good luck!

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
With speakers of the (very solid) quality you're looking at, you probably should look to something better than the Teac. I can recommend the NAD L40 integrated system (it's small but incredibly musical, and it integrates a tuner and CD player into the amp), or if you have more space, a NAD integrated amp like the C340 or C370. You can get the NAD L40 in a box with well-matched PSB Alphas as the "NAD music system".

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12
I wholeheartedly second MirandaX's rec. We own the L40, and if you buy it with the PSBs as the "Music System" you're probably talking about the best "bang for the buck" at that price point. Or if you don't like the PSBs (though I think they're as good as the other speakers you listed), you could just get the L40 by itself. It's a great unit.

Yawa (an authorized NAD dealer) is selling a new "box damage" L40 for $449 with full 2-year warranty, a great deal:

http://www.yawaonline.com/nadl40cdplay.html

Here's the thread where I posted that deal:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=l40

Another possibility is the Denon DM30. It's a great little minisystem with Mission speakers, and easily the best system for the money. Given that this will be a "bedroom" system, the size and sound quality will probably be a good match for you.

Dec 23, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the recommandations. I will try to find the NAD L40 at a good price. I cannot benefit from the Yawa bargain as I'm in France.

I will at least oppose the Denon DM30 to the Teac.

Thx,

Pierre

Dec 23, 2001 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 12
I find it hard to believe I'm the only person around here who likes the Paradigm Atoms for just such a purpose. At around $150 - $170, they can't be beat. They're either less expensive than speakers which sound as good as they do, or they sound a lot better than anything else at $170. Either way, you win. You owe it to yourself to test them with whatever amplification you end up getting.

Dec 24, 2001 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Actually, the Atoms are quite nice, but I don't know how they would compare with the speakers he listed, if only based on price. The difference is that I have heard the Atoms and liked em
smily_headphones1.gif
. I don't know if I would say they sound a lot better then everything else at $170, but rather that it is hard to match them. Id bet the Axiom M2Tis would give them a run for the money, and Id bet there are others that sound as good/better for a similar price.

Dec 25, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I find it hard to believe I'm the only person around here who likes the Paradigm Atoms for just such a purpose. At around $150 - $170, they can't be beat. They're either less expensive than speakers which sound as good as they do, or they sound a lot better than anything else at $170. Either way, you win. You owe it to yourself to test them with whatever amplification you end up getting.

You're not alone here in liking the Atoms. I've had a pair for over two years and used them in two different systems in small apartments, in a bedroom system and as rear surrounds. Very versatile speakers for a great price, and they go very low for their small size. I do tend to prefer NHT bookshelf speakers (I have a pair of SuperOnes and SuperZeros) but they are more expensive and they (especially the SuperZereos) are lacking in the bass department, though I feel the NHT's do offer more detail than the Paradigms.

-Keith

Dec 28, 2001 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 12
Pierre: Denon's new 201SA-series could be worth a closer look. There are several components including an amp (PMA-201SA), a receiver (DRA-201SA, stereo - no multi-channel) and a cd-player (DCD-201SA). All of these seem to be reasonably made and to have good quality.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: What would be the maximum possible size for your new speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back