Budgeted computer as source project
Dec 14, 2005 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

headradio

New Head-Fier
Ok, I have just bought ER-4P's for my Ipod, but now i want to have a home rig as well. I would be using the same headphones.
My budget is limited (around 100) especially after buying the er-4p. Basicaly right now all i have is a loud computer with realtek crap(ac97 i think) integrated sound. (Plugging-when neccesary- into it is downright unpleasant). I am also hoping to do a little recording onto the computer, so a soundcard or auio interface that can do that gets + in my book.

so for a hundred dollars
Pimp my audio source head fi!

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 10
For about $150 you could probably swing a 0404, PreSonus HP4, and a pair of Monster or Mogami cables. It would be a pretty nice rig for just a bit over your budget. Just sit tight with your portable rig for a bit until you can get the extra cash together. The other option you have would be to go with something like the Chaintech AV-710 and one of the cheaper portable amps... If you go that route you may be able to squeeze in under $100.

Another option is to get something like the AudioTrak OptoPlay (around $40) to tide you over until you can spring for something really nice.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Tachikoma was kidding about the parts as it's difficult to do something dramatic for $100. I would go for the Emu0404 for about $100 because it's not something you would want to replace. Some people prefer it to the 1212 which costs twice the 0404. Then I would save up for an amp or get a cheap pimeta or mint amp.

If you want to quiet your computer the only thing to do for cheap is swap out some fans for queiter ones like Nexus fans or add in some insulation to the walls of the case to deaden some of the sound.
Good luck.

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 10
yeah i was thinking of building an amp, as a have a little experience with soldeing and it doesnt seem too hard. but then theres another question... cmoy? pimeta? mint? which?
Also: what if i raise my budget to 200?

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

If I want to conect the EMU to the HP4 (Takes 2 (left right) quarter inch in) can anyone show me which wire to buy?

I think you'll need an RCA to RCA cable, not exactly the hardest type of cable to find these days
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back