budget vintage preamps w/phono?
Oct 7, 2006 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TR909

Head-Fier
looking to build a second bedroom system with powered monitors. Currently looking at NAD 1130, Adcom GFP-555II, Adcom GTP-500, and the T Preamp TCC TC-754. Not looking to spend more than $220 on audiogon/ebay. anyone with vintage preamp experience care to share? thanks!

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 8
The Adcom GFP-565 (such as the one below) was supposed to have a terrific phono stage and now can be currently purchased used in the $250-300 range. The model was Adcom's top of the line pre in the earl 90s and a real giant killer during the period.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1163107547

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard the adcoms, but I have a (1987) NAD 1300 preamp which has a great selectable mm and mc phono stage and I see them sell quite often on ebay in the $100 range. Not only is it a excellent phono stage and preamp, the built in headamp is quite good as well.

Also, for NAD preamps I'd look for a 1155, 1300, 1600 or 1700 as they were the top models for that era.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 8
I've found my Tandberg TCA-3002 for $169 at Saturday Audio.
Has 2 separate phono inputs, one for MM and one for MC and it has a nice headphone out with it's own volume control.
this is my first vintage pre amp.

Oct 19, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm very pleased with my Adcom GTP-400, the successor to the GTP-500. The tuner required alignment (which I did by ear, so it probably isn't even up to its full potential) and replacement of several trimmer caps. But the preamp works fine even if the tuner isn't repaired (might be able to get a great deal on eBay if someone is willing to advertise that their tuner doesn't work).

I haven't used the phono stage.

Best headphone-out I've used so far, but I haven't tried any of the standard recommendations here. 12Vrms preamp, if I recall correctly, in case your amp needs help (I initially used the GTP-400 with a 9-watt tube amp).

The tuner lights are on all the time, and are bright, which sometimes interferes with quiet, in-the-dark listening.

Overall, I have no problem recommending this unit if you're willing to deal with repairs to the tuner--or a broken tuner.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but just in case someone does a search in the future...

I saw references to Adcom. I owned the Adcom GTP-450. While it was a fine preamp/tuner (excellent tuner, BTW), it had the absolutely worst headphone-out that I have ever heard. I've used some crappy receivers, integrateds, and cheap prosumer mixers; however, the Adcom was the worst. It made my AKG K240-M's sound like 1970's transistor radios (that's a bad thing, in case you're wondering). Perhaps it was just bad synergy with the AKGs, but when I heard the output I just had to sell that thing.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found my Tandberg TCA-3002 for $169 at Saturday Audio.
Has 2 separate phono inputs, one for MM and one for MC and it has a nice headphone out with it's own volume control.
this is my first vintage pre amp.

Oh, how I envy you!
evil_smiley.gif
Well, not really - but nevertheless it reminds me how much I would have liked to buy a Tandberg system (TIA-3012, TDC-3014A & TCD-3015A... *drool*) back in the 80s: However, I was too young and didn't have the money - and unfortunately I got no sinister offers which I could could have taken and later on commented with "I was yound and needed the money"...
wink.gif

Another nice (late-80s-)vintage pre: the Harman/Kardon HK825 - it's fairly full-featured, e.g. with two phono inputs (MM/MC switchable; capacity selector for MM), mono switch, switchable subsonic & high-cut filters, defeatable tone control with two selectable frequencies for bass & treble, proper sounding headphone out... Sound is on the clean, clear and dynamic side.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back