Budget/Value StreetStyle
Feb 10, 2005 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TooNice

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone suggest a reasonable budget backphone?
By reasonable, I simply mean something that can compare to my Koss Porta Pro. I want something to use for my MP3 player, and for some reason, I tend to destroy my earphones after ~6months (usually, one side stop working after 6 months - and I got tired of replacing them... and I am sure the store is got tired of it too). As such, I do not need something requiring an amp or anything.

I really like the sound of the Porta Pro, it seriously beats everything I've used before (yes, granted, I've never used any high end headphones), so something that could match it would be good. Problem is... you'll laugh at this... I spike my hair and headphones kinda crush my hair ;D
Wearing the headphone like a backphone crushes my ear in a way that it becomes painful after a while.

Budget wise, I am not sure if backphones carries a premium over headphones, but I am not looking for something very expensive... I don't mind going a bit above the price of a Porta Pro if its better, but thats about it.

I did a bit of trimming myself, and narrowed down to two set (though I am open to suggestions)..

Sennheiser PMX60 Neckband Headphones
and
Koss KSC-55 Portable Digital Stereophones

They are both priced similarly (budget). I've had good experience with the Porta Pro, but considering the KSC-55 is cheaper, I am guessing that it won't sound as good. Never tried Sennheiser's product, but I've heard good things about them.. but thats for their higher end products.

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 10
Dont forget the sportapro. It can convert from a headband to a street style.
Ive read some negative comments on the KSC55, some dont like how the plastic part drills into the temple.

Never tried one myself...
Garrett

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 10
ksc-55's have the same basic driver as the portapro, but less bass as they don't fit as tightly. they have more or less the same sound signature, though. the PMX60's are a bit bright for my taste. you might also want to look at the koss ksc-75. they have an earclip design and they shouldn't muss your hair anymore than the 55's and might be a bit cheaper.

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 10
What does a bit bright mean (I guess I lack the vocabulary to describe sound ^^
wink.gif
?

From the confort point of view, is there any significant difference between the PMX60?

And lastly, whats the difference between the KSC-50 and 75? I think they are both earclip design. What worried me about the KSC-50 is that they look, from the picture, kinda bulky for something I'll wear on my ear for any period of time...

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Call me crazy, but I had a pair of KSC-55's and switched to a set of HD 202 which seem to kick the old one's around quite a bit...and it's a closed set of cans 0_0'

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
ksc55 are death to the temples

Another reason why I switched, although the pain wasn't in my temples more the side of my head ^_^'

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
What does a bit bright mean (I guess I lack the vocabulary to describe sound ^^
wink.gif
?

bright in this case would be emphasized treble and weak(er) mids and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back