Budget usb/dac + amp for office setup
Sep 16, 2008 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Behen

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Just thinking about upgrading my audio setup at work.
I currently jam to some Sennheiser px-100's that come straight out of the on-board sound.

While the px-100's are some awesome headphones, the setup does leave a little to be desired!

I plan on purchasing some Beyer DT770's and a usb dac with an amp to give the DT770's enough power to perform well.

What I think I need is something that can be plugged into the wall, as I don't want to be changing batteries every other day. But is small, as I don't have a lot of desk space. I also would like something that is a little better looking than the 'HeadRoom Total Airhead'. This sounds like a good little box for me, but is quite frankly butt ugly.
tongue.gif

My budget will be about $100-$200 for the dac+amp.
And I mainly listen to psytrance with a little bit of rock thrown in.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I currently jam to some Sennheiser px-100's that come straight out of the on-board sound.

While the px-100's are some awesome headphones, the setup does leave a little to be desired!

I plan on purchasing some Beyer DT770's and a usb dac with an amp to give the DT770's enough power to perform well.

What I think I need is something that can be plugged into the wall, as I don't want to be changing batteries every other day. But is small, as I don't have a lot of desk space. I also would like something that is a little better looking than the 'HeadRoom Total Airhead'. This sounds like a good little box for me, but is quite frankly butt ugly.
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys!

Try the iBasso D2 Boa

iBasso

Or the Go-Vibe Petite

Uncle Wilson's SuperStore - Go-Vibe Petite

Both are well-regarded. I plan on getting one of them myself once my wallet recovers from my new iPod
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys!

I am also looking for something like that in same budget as yours.

Currently, the GoVibe Petite has been quite impressive for me.

i ll drive HD555 with it.

Do give it a try with DT770.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Predator.

I've decided to do the same thing, and have bailed on my x-can.

Ray has told me that he runs his predator off AC 24x7, and does not see a reason it would be an issue for the amp or sound quality.

{DOH!} sorry i didn't catch the budget in your post...

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I would continue with your current setup and save for the Predator myself. Ray's amps are really that much better than the $100 crowd. Plus it makes a super portable amp by itself.

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'll be ordering my DT770pro 80ohm next week along with my iBasso D2 Boa!
(unless someone has more advice...)

I definitely think this will give me everything I want and more for my Office listening!

I will update when they arrive with pics and a small review
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again gents
biggrin.gif

Bones13:
After reading the truly MASSIVE portable amp review by headphoneaddict
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ech-v1-306883/

I just don't think the extra price is worth it for the Predator.
In the end headphoneaddict put a simple 0.6 mark difference between the two amps, and I doubt I will notice the difference enough to justify the extra dosh.

Thanks for the input, muchly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back