"Budget" Tube Amp
Apr 4, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 26
So as of now I've heard LD MKIII as the only tube amp, and the NuForce HA-200 as a good class A amp, and one dac (however judging by the given information it will not me a good match for me). Thank you to everyone that has helped so far, I've recieved some great information but more opinions and other options are greatly appreciated!

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 26
Good to hear, I will definitely have to look into the Nuforce some more. It sounds like it almost has the same signature as a tube amp, would you say that is accurate? Thank you for all the help so far!

I'd say it's different than a tube amp, but warm nonetheless. It doesn't have the grainy sound that you have in other SS amps (that comes out harsher with the detailed AKG's). Sweet mids, laid back, but still detailed and punchy.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 26
I'd say it's different than a tube amp, but warm nonetheless. It doesn't have the grainy sound that you have in other SS amps (that comes out harsher with the detailed AKG's). Sweet mids, laid back, but still detailed and punchy.

One thing I have really noticed about the FiiO E10K is that sometimes things such as the ride symbol or even an upper octave electric guitar can become harsh and shrill, even at moderate listening levels. If I decide to give SS another try, I think this might be my best shot for the money. By the way, how do you like your dac overall and in relationship to the HA-200 and K7XX?

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 26
By the way, how do you like your dac overall and in relationship to the HA-200 and K7XX?

To be honest, I'm still experimenting with dacs. I'm enjoying my setup, but wondering what changing out the dac would do. I do think however that Pro-ject makes good stuff in this price range.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 26
For $500 you could get yourself a Project Ember and a cheap dac like the odac. Add $50 for a better tube. The option to change output resistance on the ember I believe is a great benefit. Just an idea to give you something to consider and keep in mind that I havent heard many tube amps.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #23 of 26
Need help please

I live in India, here for the price range of 15k ie about 250$ we have xduoo x3 and sony nz a 20 and fiio x3 2nd gen.

out of which fioo x3 2nd gen and xduoo x3 share the same specs but the xduoo x3 has OPA1612 which i heard have an edge over OPA 1642 used by Fiio X3 2 nd gen.. Please help to choose between them.

This will be my first DAP and entry to the audiophile world.
Any help on this would be appreciated

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #24 of 26
For $500 you could get yourself a Project Ember and a cheap dac like the odac. Add $50 for a better tube. The option to change output resistance on the ember I believe is a great benefit. Just an idea to give you something to consider and keep in mind that I havent heard many tube amps.

I haven't tried ember, but the point about output impedance is a very valid one.  I believe that was my issue with K7XX + Vali.  Looks like the Vali 2 would be a better match.  Many of the tube amps that I looked at didn't list output impedance at all in their specs.  Any idea why this is?  

Little Dot I+ advertises that it is designed as a good match for low impedance phones, apparently at 8 ohms output impedance. This was on my short list as well, before I decided to go with class A solid state. Some head-fi members preferred it with AKG K702 over LD III.

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=819&sid=03eba24e612ff56ba1667c77011dddd1

For more on output impedance, there's a pretty good treatment at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #25 of 26
Output impedance is very important. I notice that when I shift between the various settings on the ember the sound changes remarkabely. I usually go with the 0.1 ohm output impedance which pairs very well with my low impedance headphones.

The vali and the little dot 1+ that you mentioned seem to be good value for the money but If you have the money I would recommend you buy a tube amp with a bit more power. The ember has much more power and you can exchange the driver tube for a more powerful one and you will have a really powerful amp that Im sure your headphones will benefit from. If you dont like the look of the ember then perhaps you can look into getting the Lyr 2 but it is $100 more.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #26 of 26
Output impedance is very important. I notice that when I shift between the various settings on the ember the sound changes remarkabely. I usually go with the 0.1 ohm output impedance which pairs very well with my low impedance headphones.

The vali and the little dot 1+ that you mentioned seem to be good value for the money but If you have the money I would recommend you buy a tube amp with a bit more power. The ember has much more power and you can exchange the driver tube for a more powerful one and you will have a really powerful amp that Im sure your headphones will benefit from. If you dont like the look of the ember then perhaps you can look into getting the Lyr 2 but it is $100 more.

I have been contemplating on wether or not stretching for the Lyr 2 is worth it, however the more I ponder the more I like the idea. But as of now, only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back