Budget Tube Amp
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JimSmiley

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations for a first time tube amp. I've looked at the Lunchbox and Darkvoice. Is there a thread I'm having trouble locating? What are some of the lesser expensive tube amps for a noob?

TIA

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Darkvoice as you have already said. And then there's Little Dot.

Search around, there are loads of threads on both. Very good low budget amps.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 17
What's your price range? Little Dot makes some great tube amps in the $150-300 range. Darkvoice makes even better tube amps, but they start at around $250 for the cheapest model.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 17
Darkvoice Figaro - entry level amp for about $160. Great little amp for the money and a good entry into tube amps (it uses Chinese 2x6F3s, but western equivalents are much better - the ECL85 and 6GV8).

Note: only problem is the 110v version hasn't been released yet.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 17
Are there any tube amps that won't go crazy when trying to drive low-impedance headphones (such as Audio-Technica)?

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I got to listen to Joshatdot's Little Dot MK II and compared the Darkvoice Figaro for a little bit. The MK II has a forward presentation and the Figaro has a more of a laid back sound. Flip a coin. They are so different.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Seriously look at Little Dot tube amps. I have the LD MKII and am really happy with it. For a few bucks more, I understand the LD MKIII is an even better value. Make sure to read Penchum's reviews of the Little Dot amps here on the forum. Even though he is not a salesman; his reviews will sell you on the product.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 17
i've recently been investigating the DIY offerings, of which there are plenty:
SOHA w/ JISBOS
Millet Hybrid MAX
Bijou
EHHA
Aikido
Bottlehead S.E.X.
Borbely Tube/ MOSFET Hybrid

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 17
I can see that. It never crossed my mind though. I did listen to both and own the Figaro.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Tube rolling options with the FIGARO are limited, there's no point denying it: but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some owners won't bother tube rolling at all - the stock 6F3s sound quite good; others will be relieved that they don't have the bewildering choice of equivalents available for other amps, like the DV332 and Little Dots.

There are lots of the Soviet equivalents of the 6F3s - the 6F5P. Haven't tried them yet but they're generally better than the Chinese versions. I'm running a pair of TELEFUNKEN ECL85s at the minute and they sound fantastic.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Looks like it may be the Little Dot MKIII. Thanks for the advice and recommendations everyone.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any tube amps that won't go crazy when trying to drive low-impedance headphones (such as Audio-Technica)?

My Bijou (with 6n1p-ev and 6n6p tubes) doesn't have any problem with 32-ohm headphones.

But it's not exactly cheap to pay someone to build a Bijou for you. I'm not sure how much, but I've got at least $200 in my DIY bijou.

If you're into tube rolling, the Bijou uses 6dj8 types in the gain stage so you can spend bucks on exotic e88cc's to your heart's content. Using the 6h30 or 6n1p in the gain stage requires a resistor change. I'm cheap and i already had pair of matched 6n1p-ev on hand, so i used those.

The output stage on the other hand only accepts JJ-Tesla ECC99 or 6n6p / 6n6p-i from Novosibirsk or Reflector (which may be relabeled as Sovtek, Svetlana, etc). But these are Good Tubes.

The 6AS7 output tube on a Stratum/Waarde amp like the Darkvoice 336i shouldn't have any problem either. It was intended as a voltage regulator tube, and it has plenty of oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back