Budget Tube Amp for HD650? (~$200)
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DJBunyan

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a budget tube amp that will sound good with HD650s first and foremost, and secondarily my HE-400s and Denon D2K, although in this case they are of lesser import (happy with my Magni/Modi).

Will my Modi DAC work with a tube amp? Hopefully I won't have to buy a new one.

I'm looking for a sound signature that will bring out the mids/vocals sweet as honey 

So far in my research I have been primarily looking at the LittleDot MKIII, or one of the kits (project sunrise, Bottleneck) if they are not too hard to assemble.

Any help appreciated!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

You need to do more research on the subject of tube amps before you buy one. They don't work like solid state amps do (like the Magni). Some are hybrids (tube & solid state) and some are pure tube. If you get an OTL tube amp, with high output impedance, and low power output at lower impedance, it will not pair well with the low impedance ortho Hifiman HE-400 nor the low impedance super efficient Denon D2000. It will however pair fine with the HD650. If that doesn't make sense, I suggest you do a lot of reading on the subject of tube amps, voltage, current, impedance, peak outputs, output impedance, etc.

$200 won't put you on very many options that are decent.

Most tube amps that you're looking at don't really open doors until around $300~400.

The LDMKIII comes in at used $200 sometimes, but then there's shipping.

You might be able to land a Little Dot MK II+ for $200 shipped here. The LDMKIII will run you $50 more if you're willing to up your budget.

Other options in that higher range ($300ish) include the Schiit Valhalla and the DarkVoice SE336 and MusicalParadise MP-301 MK3.

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Heya,

You need to do more research on the subject of tube amps before you buy one. They don't work like solid state amps do (like the Magni). Some are hybrids (tube & solid state) and some are pure tube. If you get an OTL tube amp, with high output impedance, and low power output at lower impedance, it will not pair well with the low impedance ortho Hifiman HE-400 nor the low impedance super efficient Denon D2000. It will however pair fine with the HD650. If that doesn't make sense, I suggest you do a lot of reading on the subject of tube amps, voltage, current, impedance, peak outputs, output impedance, etc.

$200 won't put you on very many options that are decent.

Most tube amps that you're looking at don't really open doors until around $300~400.

The LDMKIII comes in at used $200 sometimes, but then there's shipping.

You might be able to land a Little Dot MK II+ for $200 shipped here. The LDMKIII will run you $50 more if you're willing to up your budget.

Other options in that higher range ($300ish) include the Schiit Valhalla and the DarkVoice SE336 and MusicalParadise MP-301 MK3.

Very best,

Thank you for the response - I definitely can understand that and I had figured as such for my current cans. That is why I just put them as an afterthought, i.e., it would be neat if it would work with them as well as the HD650. I'm very happy with my SS Magni for my HE-400 and D2000, I'm just interested in exploring the tube sound with HD650s for my next purchase. I certainly could always do with more knowledge though and will definitely research more on tube amps.

As far as my budget, I can absolutely raise it to accommodate a better amp. I do not want to settle for a poor amp. What would you recommend would pair well with HD650s?

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Save up an extra $80 and buy yourself a Bottlehead Crack kit. From what I've heard it pairs amazingly with the HD650s. About to order one myself.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 7
I recommend the building an amp like from the popular Kits. It's not too terribly expensive and building an amp can be very rewarding and give you some insight with the internal guts. Plus it makes you join the DIY club in a way even if you know nothing about electronics and parts. Can be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back