Budget Super Foods
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #16 of 19
Shopping at Aldi food stores. If there is one near you, it’s possible to get some good cheap bargains.

Learning the art of rice and beans, preferably brown rice. It takes practice and trial and error but if you get good at it, it can be really good.

Although, not a super food…..Walmart food section has $1 French bread. It’s actually good and I like it. Mind you, it’s not as good as authentic European style bread but still good especially if you toast it in the oven with budget melted cheese on top of sliced cuts.

Beef heart is really super cheap and not bad. I’ve seen it in the frozen section in International and Asian supermarkets. It’s not really a super food but it’s super cheap meat. I like it once in a while.

Expired yellow bananas. In some food stores, you can buy a bag full of expired bananas for like $1. They’re great to freeze and add to milk in a blender to make banana milk. I prefer oat milk for the banana milk drink. The reason why expired bananas are best is because it tastes sweeter compared to green bananas. Just keep them in the freezer.

DIY sauerkraut. The only ingredients you need are salt and cabbage. That’s it. It takes practice to make it but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty good. The fermentation creates healthy bacteria for you system. Super cheap and I like it more than the supermarket version.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 19
It’s a little more advanced but if you can learn to make some basic Middle East food, it’s so good. I love middle eastern food like flat breads, hummus, lentils, eggplant dishes…etc….The ingredients are usually cheap but the taste can be shockingly good.

And the Middle East diet is considered good over all.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #18 of 19
I just finished shopping, and for under $15, I was able to buy low sodium/ low fat cottage cheese, 2 sweet potatoes, Barley, Brown Rice, Navy beans, Pinto beans, 6 kiwis, and virgin olive oil/ balsamic vinegar salad dressing.

Are there any other members out there into saving a few dollars and healthy Eatin'? If so, what are some of your favorite healthy foods to buy on the cheap?

Some of my usual favorites are canned salmon, plain unsweetened yogurt, seeds to make sprouts, tea to brew Kombucha, lentils, wheat to grow wheat grass, quinoa, frozen spinach, loose leaf green tea, broccoli and oranges.

Would love to hear more tips on eatin' healthy on the cheap--
Getting a microwave popcorn carafe makes it without salt or oil and one bag lasts so long Instead of buying chips.

Also I have a 5 cup coffee maker for $12 and big boxes of green decaf tea at Walmart and pour into a 1 quart carafe for the fridge instead of buying soda.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #19 of 19
Shopping at Aldi food stores. If there is one near you, it’s possible to get some good cheap bargains.

Learning the art of rice and beans, preferably brown rice. It takes practice and trial and error but if you get good at it, it can be really good.

Although, not a super food…..Walmart food section has $1 French bread. It’s actually good and I like it. Mind you, it’s not as good as authentic European style bread but still good especially if you toast it in the oven with budget melted cheese on top of sliced cuts.

Beef heart is really super cheap and not bad. I’ve seen it in the frozen section in International and Asian supermarkets. It’s not really a super food but it’s super cheap meat. I like it once in a while.

Expired yellow bananas. In some food stores, you can buy a bag full of expired bananas for like $1. They’re great to freeze and add to milk in a blender to make banana milk. I prefer oat milk for the banana milk drink. The reason why expired bananas are best is because it tastes sweeter compared to green bananas. Just keep them in the freezer.

DIY sauerkraut. The only ingredients you need are salt and cabbage. That’s it. It takes practice to make it but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty good. The fermentation creates healthy bacteria for you system. Super cheap and I like it more than the supermarket version.
The other day I had a banana that was started to get black. It tasted alcoholic. The best tasting point is when it has just turned yellow from green. I just hate how bananas transition so fast. I wish there was a good way to keep it at the fresh yellow point.

I wonder if once sauerkraut or kimchi is fermintated, the salt content is reduced? There is so much salt that is added to it.

Getting a microwave popcorn carafe makes it without salt or oil and one bag lasts so long Instead of buying chips.

Also I have a 5 cup coffee maker for $12 and big boxes of green decaf tea at Walmart and pour into a 1 quart carafe for the fridge instead of buying soda.
I used to really luv chowing down on chips, but a lot of them has high salt and calories. Popcorn is a good safe snack option for those that luvs to chow down on stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back