Budget Summit-Fi Rig ($1300) Recommendations??
Jul 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 30
Aesthetically, I think the Koss stats are a tough sell. 

vs

vs

I know - it should be about the sonics - but I'll take the one with the model in them. This is what the kids really want - 

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 30
Yeah, but the Koss ESPs are quite comfy and sound like angels are whispering in your ears.

There really are no better cans for under $1200, seriously.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 30
Aesthetically, I think the Koss stats are a tough sell. 

I know - it should be about the sonics - but I'll take the one with the model in them. This is what the kids really want - 

Yeah...there's a difference between designing a product to be the best technical performer you know how to make it, and trying to make something that looks pretty in the showroom (and if those actually had the logo on the side like that, they'd look neater). Koss is not kidding when they state that the 950s exceed all known measurements.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 30
From what I've read of your impressions the Koss cans sound bass-light. I'm not sure they would perform as well as others in this price range (LCD-2, HE-500, HD-650) for Rock, Pop, and Electronica.

Or am I totally wrong in this claim?

Anyways, keep the ideas coming!

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 30
They're bass neutral - they have more bass than the Sennheisers for example (better extension and their huge ESP drivers let them hit pretty hard when called upon). They are AMAZING with rock, pop, and electronica imho (three of my favorite genres actually). I guess if your idea of "bass" is having your head rattled off though, they're "bass light" though. I don't like that kind of experience though. No idea about the orthos - never heard'em.

Which impressions are you citing from? (if it's the comparison, everything in there is relative the RS-1 (except where otherwise stated), not absolute). Might have to go change wording...:xf_eek:

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 30
I was citing from the USA Clash of the Titans post. I did not know it was all relative to the RS-1. I will seriously consider them if they have more bass the senns. It's good to know they are bass neutral; I'm looking for a rather neutral sound signature.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 30
They're bass neutral - they have more bass than the Sennheisers for example (better extension and their huge ESP drivers let them hit pretty hard when called upon). They are AMAZING with rock, pop, and electronica imho (three of my favorite genres actually). I guess if your idea of "bass" is having your head rattled off though, they're "bass light" though.

x2. They aren't bass light, they have incredible bass extension, it simply isn't accentuated beyond natural levels. If you want something that just thumps your melon, save your money and buy some M-Audio Q40s.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 30
I was citing from the USA Clash of the Titans post. I did not know it was all relative to the RS-1. I will seriously consider them if they have more bass the senns. It's good to know they are bass neutral; I'm looking for a rather neutral sound signature.

Ooopsie, I must've messed up somewhere in writing that. :xf_eek:

Sorry for confusion. Yes, relative to the RS-1, the ESP/950 have less impact, but more extension. But the RS-1 have punched-up bass (they're kind-of a v-curve headphone). The 950s are VERY "down the middle" in terms of impact; nothing too crazy, but nothing too light. Just right. Like a super-Sennheiser.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but only a few years ago one of the "top of the line" headphones from Beyer was the 990, and doesn't it meet that very description?

Yeah you can get bassy and bright, a lot of headphones do it. Ultrasone PRO2900 is another and perhaps better example.

:)

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #26 of 30
If you already have a decent speaker amp/receiver (particularly with unused 2nd room taps), get an HE-6 and hook it up to the speaker taps. It's one of the best headphones at any price and will consume your entire budget (exactly), but you'll be firmly in Summit-fi and never look back.

If your speaker amp puts out over 90 wpc, HiFiMAN also sells a customized resistor box for $99 called an HE-Adapter that will "protect amplifiers and headphones when using a speaker amplifier to drive HE-6". Even if your amp is more modest, the adapter would simplify the hookup and eliminate the need for a speaker tap adapter cable. But the first time I hooked my HE-6 to speaker taps, I just chopped up the SE adapter that came with it (the HE-6 is one of the very few headphones that come with a 4-pin XLR plug stock, much like the AKG K1000; it's like a clue that they need speaker amp power).

I rotate between four Summit-fi headphones and the HE-6 is the one that seems to stay on my head the longest. There's a couple of good threads on it and it's amplification requirements, which are quite unusual. I drive mine with a ~$175 45 wpc SS speaker amp and a $2k tube preamp, but the HE-6 sounds great without the preamp as well, straight out of the RA150.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #29 of 30
Hey guys, there's a lot of great recommendations in here.

I have made my 'summit-fi' purchase. I went with a Hifiman HE-500 and a Audio-gd NFB-10SE for the dac/amp. I absolutely LOVE my setup! It sounds superior to any of the headphones I've had previously. The detail is incredible and I'm loving the balanced sound. I recommend it to anyone else with a budget in the $1000-1300 range.

Keep the recommendations coming because I'm sure there are more people looking to get into HiFi headphones at around this price range. Thanks for your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back