Budget speakers
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 4
With that kind of budget I see 2 best options:

1) Get something in the used market or try to look for deeply discounted b-stock or discontinued stuff.
2) Wait up to save a little more. With $250-300, you enter entry level territory.

An option would the famous Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or SP-FS52-LR.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 4
With that kind of budget I see 2 best options:

1) Get something in the used market or try to look for deeply discounted b-stock or discontinued stuff.
2) Wait up to save a little more. With $250-300, you enter entry level territory.

An option would the famous Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or SP-FS52-LR.

Seconding the SP-BS22-LR's. There's a reason they have been selling continuously since 2013 - they redefined the sound quality you could get at their price point, and in the seven years since they came out they have gotten cheaper. Just out of interest, since you're asking in Euros, what is the Euro pricing of the Pioneers around you? In the US they routinely go on sale for $79; if you can find them under EUR 100 they are probably the best new speakers you will be able to find in that price range.

I did find that mine took a while to break in, after which they were (subjectively) much better. I was also able to discern a difference between 3 different DACs, using the Pioneers on absolutely the cheapest amp I could buy (the $30 Lepai 2020 amp, which is ridiculously good considering the price). (FWIW the 3 DACs were the Apple Lightning Adapter < Schiit Fulla 2 < iFi iDSD Nano Black).

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Vintage speakers from reputable brands can sometimes be found on 2nd hand markets for peanuts.
Right now there probably aren't any going on because of the pandemic, but flea markets always have the cheapest stuff, but not always the best stuff.

If sound is the only objective, you could look for something that has lots of scratches or missing dust grills etc etc...

The only downside to vintage speakers is that it can be a bit of a gamble getting something that doesn't need it's rubber (or impregnated fabric) surrounds repaired any time soon.

I would only recommend going down the vintage route if you have the time and patience to do a bit of research and hunt a good deal.
If not, just go the modern route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back