budget speakers: paradigm atom or psb alpha?
Nov 9, 2007 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Spare Tire

100+ Head-Fier
Initially, i had a budget of 100$ but i've upped that to 300 to cover these two. What i'm looking for is soundstaging, since it's the one thing that i'm missing with my otherwise great staxes (even the sigmas). Which of these two will be the best overall and more specifically better, more consistant, deeper soundstage? They're gonna be sitting on my desk, and i will be pretty much smack in front of them (about 70cm).

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 23
I have a pair of used Paradigm Atoms v.2 powered by a Sonic Impact T-Amp (first gen) on batteries, and so far they sound much better than any computer speakers, but they're a little bass heavy and the mids/highs don't "sing" to me, but the overall experience is very passable for low(?) end speakers.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 23
Canadian? Paradigm or Totem.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 23
I also got an offer for monitor audio bronze R B1 for 300CADs. That's stretching the budget a bit but i wonder if the upgrade is worth it.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 23
The Bronze have been going for less than $200 usd on audiogon I think.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 23
With the new revision 5 of the Monitor series, the Atom Monitor is going to be VERY difficult to beat in its price range. The old Atom garnered great reviews, and used inferior drivers, crossovers, and cabinet construction to the new one. The new Atom is basically a Mini-Mini Monitor... which is a very good thing!

When I was speaker-shopping a year or two ago, I originally looked at the Atoms' line, but moved to the Monitor series because they were clearly and obviously superior. Back then the price of entry was $350 for the Minis, and it was well worth it. Now there have been two more revisions of the Monitor line, the lower line is gone, and the base price of the Monitor sound is $100 less than what it once was.

I'd spring for a new pair of Atom Monitors and never look back.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 23
Alright! Spilled the beans on the atom v.5. That was 225CADs for the pair. For the next 3 months, i'll be eating with my ears. Never look back! If anything, i still got my headphones.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 23
Nov 10, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 23
I don't know, the guy at the shop showed me the Bronze R B1, he said the metalized tweezers on those were better. Don't know about the radius serie. In fact, i didn't even listen to them, i didn't want to bother the guy to get it hooked up in the listening room for budget bookshelfs. And the price was already a bit too high for me.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 23
Meh. It is a pity you get charged so much for shipping but my TAD 805s are much better than the Bronze or Atoms. They are still good speakers mind you. Just not what I would call a screaming good deal. A bit overpriced imo.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. It is a pity you get charged so much for shipping but my TAD 805s are much better than the Bronze or Atoms. They are still good speakers mind you. Just not what I would call a screaming good deal. A bit overpriced imo.

have you heard either?

The Paradims are a lot better than the psbs from the limited listening I've done. Of course they were at two different shops on different days with different source material so not the greatest comparison.

I've heard a lot of good things about av123's X-ls speakers. They're currently on sale for $165

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Onix Reference 1's, a Reference 100 center and a x-plosion sub.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 23
A few years back I was looking for small book shelf speakers and I had a list of three, the two you mention and the now discontinued B&W 302. I'm pretty sure that the 2 models have been updated and the B&W is now not available new. At the time I ranked them DM302>atom>alpha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back