budget speaker system
Jun 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dfamous

New Head-Fier
Lol I'm sure there's a million of these threads but, basically ive got $65 in my bank account and already have an amp, but I'm completely clueless about what speakers to get, i realize $65 isn't allot, but I'm not exactly an audiophile i just want the best for my cash, I'm considering micca motion mb42, would a 2.1 system in the same price range be better? I'm down to spend the whole 65 bucks on one good speaker then buy another when i have more cash and slowly build a decent sound system just as long as its functional and acceptable untill then, I'm using a portable ihome speaker right now which is alright for what it is lol, but i want something louder and something with a bit more base in proportion to the sound, aslong as its acceptable for a house party or intense workout sessions I'm glad. For reference on the sound quality im accustomed to, the best headphones I've heard are monsters isport (they were on sale and are the best sports headphones around currently from my research.) which I've heard is comparable to the beats tours with a bit less but clearer bass.

So basically...
-Good clear sound
-Decent bass
-Loud without distortion.

Tldr; 65 bucks on a speaker system already got an amp.

All suggestions or helpful input welcome.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Best you might do is some used speakers on Craigslist.
Might find speaker for sale on Techbargins website.
Dayton Audio B652, I think on Amazon they are selling for $52, for the pair.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 13
I looked into the Daytons and was originally going to get those untill i read a side by side review which said the micca motions were better I'm just trying to see if there's anything better in my price range before i do so

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 13
What model amp do you have? If you have an amp, probably your best bet is to shop your local Craigslist for passive speakers? That should give you the best value.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Seems like your best bet is to get a Lepai t-amp and then either the Daytons or the Miccas (I don't know anything about the latter).

More discussion of the Dayton/Lepai setup here on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

However, you mentioned house part in your original post. I don't know that $65 is going to get you very loud volume. If you want to privilege volume, then get higher sensitivity speakers. Sensitivity ratings give an indication of how loud a speaker goes given a certain amount of power, so higher sensitivity generally means louder for the same amp wattage. The Miccas are rated 85dB 1W/1M; the Daytons 87 dB 1W/1m. So probably a little more volume from the Daytons. If you can save up for a little longer (or look for used), you might can find some speakers with 89 to 90db sensitivity rating.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 13
well my budget is now $150, right now I'm considering

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009IUIV4A/ref=aw_ls_3_8? colid=YJKMIWYNK4WZ&coliid=I34CIMP0MTHYHP
(someone did a side by side comparison with the Daytons and said the miccas were better)

With http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049P6OTI/ref=aw_ls__7? colid=YJKMIWYNK4WZ&coliid=IWZDXYCA2KJ56

And maybe a good subwoofer? unfortunately I've read that if they arent from the same company they dont sound right unless i drop a really large amount of cash, tho id really like the bass for working out/parties, i usually prefer not to buy used stuff but I've read alotta craigslist success stories, and might just have to suck it up can i find something good that's new for 150?

And to clarify i said house party but really its only a nicely sized studio i think it was 600sqft? I'm not talking about disturbing the neighbors loud (not that i wouldn't accept that with open arms) but enough for me to not be abld to hear a word someone says lol

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Subwoofers don't have to be matched with the speaker brand. There's no audio SQ reason for doing so. Get the best sub for you money that hooks up to your electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back