Quote:

Originally posted by gswpete
I hate reading manuals
tongue.gif

Thanks, I'll go check it out tonight.

its the FL SELECT button on the remote.

Mar 19, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #48 of 83
Thanks for the review...good info.

I ordered one from Amazon, it's only 49 bucks after a mail in rebate. Free shipping too. I'm betting it will be better than my stock NEC 602. We'll see.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #49 of 83
Ok, my Toshiba is going back to Best Buy tomorrow.
It's not bad, but really outclassed by the modded DI/O.

The Toshiba sounded congested at times and
the lack of bass really sealed the deal.

And the fact that my wallet needed help after my latest purchase
made it a no brainer
600smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #50 of 83
dSquared,

You listed 3rd generation iPod on your profile and I am wondering have you compared the Toshiba against your iPod's line-out? If you haven't can you please compare them and tell me?
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #51 of 83
Would a Toshiba really be a better transport than a NEC 602?

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
dSquared,

You listed 3rd generation iPod on your profile and I am wondering have you compared the Toshiba against your iPod's line-out? If you haven't can you please compare them and tell me?
biggrin.gif

Yes I did, although it's not even match up: my mini to RCA is a 1 foot Magwire Original, while the Radio Shack Fusion RCA to RCA is a 3 footer.

I tested with uncompressed music, the same wav files on the iPod/iTunes that I used to create my test CD. I found that the Toshiba throws a larger soundstage and is noticeably more musical, which annoyed me.
mad.gif

Then I got over it.
biggrin.gif

The more I thought about it, the more impressed I was that the iPod was even competitive considering how little space Apple has available.

If you're a low volume listener, you may actually prefer the iPod. I found that I could get the overall volume lower with the iPod without the soundstage collapsing. Don't get me wrong, you can easily hit deafening levels with the iPod-dock-amp; it's just quieter in comparison.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate

I've never heard the NEC 602, so I can't offer any opinions. But I'd encourage you to give a shot, especially since I see that you work at Best Buy!

Speaking of Best Buy, I was there last night and saw that the 3960 was on sale for $65. I think I'm going to pick one up later this week and see if the issues I had with the 3950 were solved.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #54 of 83
Thanks for the great review and comparison. I own both players and agree with you 100%...the Toshiba just sounds right. And beautiful too. Also, using my Senn 590s..theres tons of slammin bass.
John

PS...as a DVD player, the component output is superb as well.
John

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by pirate

Well, it has a remote....and you can fast forward within tracks...

Sonically...I really didn't hear much of a difference between them.

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #57 of 83
I don't have an external DAC for the 602. So, just comparing the analogue outputs, the 3950 sounds a lot better. Granted than's just my somewhat uninformed opinion on a piece of gear that has yet to fully burn in. YMMV. Regardless, for 50 bucks I'm really happy.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #58 of 83
OK I got tired of hearing all the hype about this $60 wonder machine, so I got off my azz and purchased one!

Now I have heard just about every CD/DAC from Levinson, ARC, CAL etc... and I kid you not this thin slice of bread is not put to shame by any of them. And that's going into this with the weighted cynicism against "giant killer" components.

The only thing wrong with this player is it's not heavy enough, carry the name Spectral, Linn or CJ if it did and cost a few thou' everyone who's knocking it would instead be lusting for it.

The only hobby more "infected" with snobbery is perhaps wine collecting and tasting where the price of every bottle is mentioned before the consumption.

This player sounds sublime and price be damned. I'd be pleased with my purchase even if I'd spent 20x the amount the only difference is I'd expect this much, but for $60 I am simply stunned!

Makes you wonder about the mark ups and hype in this industry???

If Toshiba (et al) has proven anything it is this, great sound is not always commensurate with great monetary expenditure.

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally posted by Anacondastan
for $60 I am simply stunned!

Absolutely agree. To say the least, I think sound-wise CD playback of the 3950 is in the same league as my now sacdmodded NS500V, which is almost 10x the price.

Well, taking into account the Sony has SACD playback, and multichannel analog outs, and the Sony's transport is very silent, as opposed to the Toshiba's.

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #60 of 83
I had effectively ignored the hype when it was over at AA. It is an asylum over there, after all.

But when I see the respected brethren of the hallowed HeadFi giving the 3950 its props, I think I'm gonna give it a try. Hell, most of us here don't think twice about spending more on little rubber feet!

I've been in headphone purgatory for the last month waiting for Alex of APL Hi-Fi to send me my modded 563a, so the Toshiba can hold me over for awhile. Plus, I can have a mod vs. un-mod face off when my 563a finally gets here to (hopefully) show that my mod was worth it. And if the 563a wins out, the Toshiba can retire to the kid's playroom as a cheap dvd player.

Guess I'm heading to Best Buy on my lunch break
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back