Budget Setup Recommendations
Aug 14, 2019 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ArlakTheRecluse

Head-Fier
Heyo!
I could use some help with a new headphone setup. I would like to get a whole setup for roughly 200 dollars or so, including an AMP and possibly a DAC. I have a pair of Tin T2’s for my portable setup, but I would like something a bit different sounding for my desktop. Thanks a ton for any help!

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 15
A laptop or a DAP, sorry should have specified.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones, ATH-WS99 if your into bass.
If you buy a DAP with a good built in DAC and headphone amp, you will not need to buy a separate DAC/amp.
For your laptop, Hifimediy has a USB DAC on sale for $30.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones, ATH-WS99 if your into bass.
If you buy a DAP with a good built in DAC and headphone amp, you will not need to buy a separate DAC/amp.
For your laptop, Hifimediy has a USB DAC on sale for $30.
Do you know of a good budget AMP though? I may be able to use my Fiio M7 as a DAC, and if I could drive some nice headphones it would be fabulous.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 15
Do you know of a good budget AMP though? I may be able to use my Fiio M7 as a DAC, and if I could drive some nice headphones it would be fabulous.
So you already own a Fiio M7?
(I like FiiO products)
So as you already own the FiiO M7 (DAP), which can be used as a USB DAC, with a computer.
Spend your audio budget for headphones and just plug them into the FiiO M7.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 15

You might as well just buy a good headphone and drive it with the M7 even if underpowered, then just save up for a good amp, than split $200 on a headphone that won't scale well even if you got an amp, which at that price point will probably not do all that well when you get the itch to upgrade that headphone to something that works better.

Or just get a headphone that can do well enough with the balanced output off the M7, even if you have to save up for the replacement cable or rewiring the headphone.

If you don't care about imaging that gets a lot easier - just get a Grado SR225e or a used RS2i if you run into one.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 15
So you already own a Fiio M7?
(I like FiiO products)
So as you already own the FiiO M7 (DAP), which can be used as a USB DAC, with a computer.
Spend your audio budget for headphones and just plug them into the FiiO M7.
Alright, maybe I’ll pick up the Dekoni Blue, heard good things about it. Any other headphones you recommend? Thanks a ton!

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Alright, maybe I’ll pick up the Dekoni Blue, heard good things about it.
Any other headphones you recommend? Thanks a ton!
I think my Soundmagic HP200 (open) headphones are great for their price.
HP151 if you prefer closed.
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X are also two thumbs up.

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 15
Alright, maybe I’ll pick up the Dekoni Blue, heard good things about it. Any other headphones you recommend? Thanks a ton!
The Dekoni Blue is on the warm side if that is what you are looking for pretty close to the Drop TX0 which might be a tad brighter but not much. Both will like a bit more power than most phones and onboard computer audio provides but are listenable but shine more with a bit more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back