Budget power cable and filter with UK plugs
Jun 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shampoosuicide

500+ Head-Fier
(As a preface, I have done a search but couldn't find any good information.)

I'm looking for a good budget power cable (<$60) and power filter (<$150) with UK plugs/for use with UK sockets.

Most of the cables I looked at only have US plugs: Signal Cable, Audio-gd, Iron Lung Jellyfish, Cryo SoniKleer.

I believe I could use an adapter with US cables, but I was wondering if these would detract from the improvement in sound quality gained from a power cable upgrade?

TIA.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 6
just get a normal iec cable and your done! also for the filter you can get the tacima

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Definitely just use a UK power plug adapter, and you only need to use one to connect the power filter to the UK wall outlet, while everything else can remain in US plugs. Then if you want to plug stuff with uk plug like computer, monitor, tv, etc into the audio-gd power filter just use UK to US adapters.

If you really want you could send audio-gd an audiophile grade uk plug so you can connect the filter to the wall without an adapter but it may be expensive to buy and ship, I really doubt it would be worth the extra cost versus power adapter, just don't get one of those folding adapters, but a solid one like http://www.1freeaday.com/pda1/images/10004131/10004131_10_image.jpg

Also, you can ask audio-gd for the shotest cable they can make :p. They told me $60 for 3 feet.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Yes, noticed that in HK as well.  All the power cords have the US plugs whereas the wall plugs are UK variety.  I've always wondered why that is the case.  I can always buy a power strip with US female sockets but that means all my power cords must be US variety without having to use an adaptor. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Tacima and Lindy are continually recommended for their power conditioning mains blocks. Some find that they such the power out of amps and recommend they are plugged into a socket and not not through the mains block.

You could also get a plug in conditioner such as the Russ Andrews The Silencer, Tacima's own one and the Sercal No Noise. I use two to great effect, each plugged into the first socket in a normal mains block. I can hear the effect by the removal of hissing noise coming to my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back