Budget portable USB DAC + amp
Apr 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Apocalypsee

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted opinions, whether I should get the Ordnance DAC-1 or X-Fi Surround 5.1. The Ordnance DAC 1 uses the single chip PCM2704 DAC while the X-Fi Surround uses Cirrus Logic CS4361 DAC and have native ASIO with digital volume control to boot.

Some link to Ordnance DAC-1 and X-Fi Surround 5.1 mod

I'm leaning towards X-Fi Surround because of the two advantage I stated above.

The headphone I use is just a modded Sennheiser HD-437
icon10.gif

May 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, since no one replied I decided to go with X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB. I surprised how good it sound, it not analytical but the sound itself is quite detailed, the mids are enhanced a little, especially on female vocal. Bass is rather tight and the high are sufficient enough to compensate  the 'veil' on my HD-437. Overall it sounds great for the price

May 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Since the lack of knowledge about X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB, I put up some info about it.

I open up this X-Fi to see what kind of component it uses. The decoupling capacitor is not the usual Jamicon but instead it uses ELNA, the opamp also is no longer the usual JRC4556 or ST4558 found on older PCI/PCIe cards but uses TDA1308 class AB stereo opamp. The digital volume control also uses high quality ALPS volume control! The knob itself is weighted so it feels nice when changing volume. It's surprising they finally use a decent component for once. Driver for Windows 7 are stable, both on the CD and the updated one on their site, but the Creative driver do have extra system processes, the stock Windows driver works but.

Its good that both the RCA line out and headphone sounds identical, which means they don't use any extra processing for headphone, so it sounds natural. It plays well on my Technics SUV7 + Monitor Audio systemR252 bookshelf too

EDIT:I can't help it, I changed the opamp to my favorite LME49723 and it sound hell of a lot better, the bass is a lot tighter, vocal nownot as pronounced as before and integrates well with music, and there is the signature airy sound of LME4972X have with better soundstage. I absolutely loved it

I'll post some pics and full impression if you guys requested

May 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 8
How powerful is the headphone jack on the Creative Labs USB 5.1 in your opinion?

May 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Wow, that was quick from post to trigger.  Sorry I wasn't around to steer you away from the X-Fi.  Those things are notorious for being terrible sounding, not real X-Fi cards, and just being an overall pain to use. 

That all said, I'm glad you changed the opamp and are happy with the sound!

May 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Wow, that was quick from post to trigger.  Sorry I wasn't around to steer you away from the X-Fi.  Those things are notorious for being terrible sounding, not real X-Fi cards, and just being an overall pain to use. 

That all said, I'm glad you changed the opamp and are happy with the sound!

Yes it don't use CA20K1 or 20K2 X-Fi chips, but I chose this not just pure gaming. It uses CA0189 DSP, and although its a budget DSP, it have SPDIF out, I2S support, and most importantly native 44.1kHz via separate 22.479MHz crystal clock

It sound clean. unlike old SB Live! and Audigy which have single 48kHz sampling operation with bad sample rate conversion which sound aggresive even after being modded.

I'm pretty happy with it, changed the opamp again to LT1364 because the LME49723 cracks at max volume. Huge improvement in the whole spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back