Budget portable mp3/hi-res player - recommendation needed
Feb 22, 2022 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drabina

Head-Fier
Are there any budget portable mp3/hi-res players you could recommend? I have Sansa ClipZIP with RockBox firmware but the screen is too small for my old eyes. I just need something to take with me while walking and also to test equipment with. Would play mp3 and FLAC files. No need for any fancy features. Basic controls are fine. I have looked at the entry level Sony Walkman but it is limited to mp3 only and has no expandable storage. Don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars for the higher models as I am on a budget.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Super budget would be an old LG phone like a V30 (~$45)--they use ESS DAC chips.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Are there any budget portable mp3/hi-res players you could recommend? I have Sansa ClipZIP with RockBox firmware but the screen is too small for my old eyes. I just need something to take with me while walking and also to test equipment with. Would play mp3 and FLAC files. No need for any fancy features. Basic controls are fine. I have looked at the entry level Sony Walkman but it is limited to mp3 only and has no expandable storage. Don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars for the higher models as I am on a budget.
with apples new hi res lossless. I use audio quest dragon fly dac- to apple camera dongle -to my Send hd650's. sounds amazing. I also downloaded onkyo HF player for my own hirez files. nice inexpensive rig using my iPhone 12promax so no need to carry extra player ymmv gl

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Do you know if the V35 ThinQ has the same ESS DAC? My wife has that phone (V35) and looking to upgrade so I could snag it as my mp3 player.

I 'believe' they use the same Sabre ES9218P chip.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Hello.

https://xduoo.net/product-category/music-player/ - this is official site, just to see the models, would be better you find local shop in general because of import tax.

You could take a look at X10 or X3 II (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-x3ii.23463/reviews). X3 II i can't find in their site there, so could be out of production. But if you find it elsewhere is also good one. They are both in 130-150 $ range.

Bigger in size than SansaClip though, for sure. If it is important to be small device.

X10 is with 2 microSD card slots, perhaps can read more than 128GB per slot. X3 II is only one SD card slot, but is newer model. Both are going to be more powerful than phone (more volume), so potentially will sound better. Not better than Sony Walkman though. No Android, no streaming services on these, they just plays music from SD card. There is Rockbox for them as well if i am not mistaken. Has a line out for connection to other external amplifiers as well.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 7
$59 Xduoo X2s
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091C9YFP...colid=GLNC69IKX72N&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Ok I just read a comment under a youtube review that makes me concerned. Many people hear clear sound and say things sounds good, but it doesn't. Of course as we all know opinions can be opposite...thus the hundreds or thousands of pages in one thread of debates.

coment: "I had Xduoo x2, x2s and the first generation xduoo x3 Appearance: the appearance is very solid and well made. I was very impressed by the Xduoo x3. Sound: Unfortunately, the sound was identical for all models. too flat sound, lower and upper bass are almost absent. The only thing they can really do is play very loudly, but sonically they are worse off than a normal mobile phone. My Samsung mobile phone offers more bass, denser sound, even if it is not so loud, it offers better sound quality. The better headphones I connect, the worse the sound."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back