Budget Portable Amp Suggestions
Sep 7, 2005 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jmb

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using a Xin SuperMini for some tome now and love it, but I need to get a second portable amp for my wife as she is now getting into high quality portable music.

What I am looking for:

PRICE: less than $100 (cheaper the better, but want an excellent amp)
SIZE: About same size or smaller than SuperMini is possible
PERFORMANCE: Ability to drive hq Senns, including HD555, HD580.

One of the reasons I liked the SuperMini was its ability to run at 4.5 volts (portable freindly) and to add a 9 volt to jack the power up to 13.5 volts for more demanding headphones listened to at home.

Any suggestions?

Looking for the best bang for the buck.

Sep 7, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Cesar the Portaphile guy has (or had last time I checked) a Portaphile V1 on his "Bargains" page for $99 shipped. The circuitry is a three-channel topology using the OPA227/BUF634 combination which will drive any headphone you want, within reason. Powered by a 9V battery, about 3"x2"x1" or so in a sturdy aluminum case. It was a demo/prototype unit so it should be already "burned in" (if you believe in that sort of thing) but it does come with a full warranty.

I don't think you're going to do better for under 100 bucks although a very similar alternative would be the Mini Head from Shellbrook which IIRC uses OPA227/HA5002 innards although in a two-channel circuit that's a little more old school. Very well made with surface-mount components and in an aluminum case a bit smaller than the Portaphile V1. I think he get $95 for the Mini Head (used to be called Mini Moy). That will be a brand-new unit but unlike the Portaphile it may not be available for immediate delivery.

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 12
Brent,

Those are so great suggestions. I think I might go for one of those for myself actually.

Do you know of any portable amps out there the size of Xin's old Supermicro. My wife wants to go as small as possible, apparently. She thinks my Supermini is to big (now that could be construed as a wicked pun
wink.gif
).

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Sorry jmb, I've never had the problem of "too big"
wink.gif

Since my shopping has been for an amp to use mostly at home, I haven't looked closely at the very small end of the scale. I ended up with a Portaphile V2 which is in that pretty common 3"x2"x1" form factor which will come in handy when I occasionally use it portable. But it is kind of fiddly to work with sitting on top of my CD player at home. Still, it sounds good and it was in my budget which is what counts.

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Also,

I find the Supermini to be a bit too bright. This might be a good balance for Sennheisers, but I was wondering if the budget amps recommended here will be a little warmer and more laidback than the Supermini?

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
what about this:
http://www.twinstarr.com/twinstarr_blue_cmoy.htm

I have seen a few posts about them but no reviews I can recall.

Thanks. good suggestion.

But I need to fid an amp that is warm and laidback, as I've decided to that the new amp will be for me, not my wife
evil_smiley.gif
. I'll search around though, for reviews.

Thanks again.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 12
No problem. I read on there that it is socketed for chip rolling. I have done this with mine, so it is easy to try different opa and they are not expensive depending on what you try. I got 3 different ones for $12 myself.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
No problem. I read on there that it is socketed for chip rolling. I have done this with mine, so it is easy to try different opa and they are not expensive depending on what you try. I got 3 different ones for $12 myself.

That's nice. Having the ability to switch out opamps.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 12
Sep 14, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
FYI. Xin's introducing the new Mini-3 and Micro-3.

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1263

That's great news!

I hope they will be similiarly priced as the older models. Couldn't afford the Supermacro.

I just dig Xin.
biggrin.gif
He seems to keep a nice balance (in his advice and projects) between budget and quality. My philosophy to a tee. No need to spend your kids college savings on the ultimate set-up, IMHO.

I hope he resurrects the mp3 player project.

Still, I'm looking for a warmer amp. I think the Supermini is nearly neutral, but after using it with several different headphones, I've noticed it's just a tad on the bright side. Haven't paired it with a really good pair of headphones though, so maybe it is not.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned these excellent budget amps:

Headsave Go-Vibe V3
Electric Avenues PA2V2

Both are excellent budget amps that get a lot of love here. I've had them both and currently own the Go-Vibe. Sonically the PA2V2 is a bit warm and supplies a good, punchy bottom end. The Go-Vibe is more neutral and open sounding. The PA2V2 is the smaller of the two.

The PA2V2 is $60, runs on 2 AA batteries, and includes an A/C adapter and mini-mini cable. Rechargables are recommended and they can be recharged right inside the amp by plugging the adapter in.

The Go-Vibe V3 is $89, runs on a single 9V battery, has a socketed AD8066 op-amp, and is currently shipping with an additional OPA2227 op-amp for rolling and a 6" mini-mini cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back