Budget phones for basshead?
Nov 2, 2007 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Sparda

Head-Fier
I need some new headphones to replace my current MDR-V300. They are horrid but still better than my other ones. Anyways the PX-100 is known for its bass heavy sound but I haven't personally heard one before. I have heard the the JVC marshmallows before and thought that it sounded great for the price and had tons of bass. After looking around a bit (just a little) I found out about the new Aircushions and the UM1s. Which of these (or recommend some other ones) will give me the most enjoyable sound and have great bass? I'm open to suggestions but keep the price under $100.

ps. I should mention that of course the new headphones will have to sound better than the MDR-V300 in every way. If the PX-100 or HA-FX66 or UM1 sound worse then I will not consider them anymore.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 40
I'd try the Koss Portapro. They are in the same price range as the PX100's and I've heard them being described as bassy KSC75's.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 40
A face only a mother could love, need something more stylish. I intend to take these around with me btw. The AKGs look like good headphones but I'm not sure if i could drive those decently.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 40
If you're willing to spend a little more, I'd recommend giving the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 EB a look. I've been very happy with it when I'm in the mood for some heavy bass. The white ones are going on amazon.com for under $125 w/ amazon's free shipping. The black costs more.

They work fine unamped from all my players, including the shuffle.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 40
Im not an audiophile... but ive been reading these forums for the last 2 weeks trying to figure out which headphones i should get...

It boiled down to Beyer DT770 Pro (80 OHM)

I bought them on ebay for about $149.99
Everyone on these forums seem to be in love with em

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 40
I have seen the UEs before but the price is a bit steep for me, especially because I prefer the black one. Couldn't they just make it the same price. The DT770 Pro at 80OHM would require an amp wouldn't it?

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 40
Get the k81's. They are great without an amp too. I think that true "headphones" (circum/supraaural) better suit a basshead because you can actually feel the bass as well. When I (rarely) listen to pop/rap/techno, I go for my k81's without question. They have much more bass than any of my other headphones.

I've also used dt770's, and I really dont' think they have that much bass. Certainly they do, but personally I think the k81's have more. THe bass isn't very tight, but for a basshead it doesn't really matter. Seems like most just like sheer quantity.

For the price, they are definetely what you are looking for. Leave them stock...alot of people take out the pads (which I did too, but i like my bass to be tighter/less overbearing) and alot of people also recable. i've heard them with a recable, and they sound like totally different headphones in terms of bass.

If you want in ears, go for the UM1's. They have more bass than any of the other budget headphones...though personally I dont' like them.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 40
So I now decided to step up the AKG K81 DJ and Audio Technica ATH-ES7. The ATH-ES7 seems bigger which equals less portable but is it that much better than the K81? Also are these circumaural or supra-aural? I prefer supra-aural (on ears) but could possibly compromise.

EDIT:
Okay so it is now just the K81 DJ, I think I have fallen in love with them. Is there any other headphone I should consider or anything to know about the AKG?

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen the UEs before but the price is a bit steep for me, especially because I prefer the black one. Couldn't they just make it the same price. The DT770 Pro at 80OHM would require an amp wouldn't it?

They sound decent without an amp... but like all cans will sound that much better with an amp

I'm currently not using an amp, but i do plan on buying one.

also... DARTH BEYERS! ...

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT:
Okay so it is now just the K81 DJ, I think I have fallen in love with them. Is there any other headphone I should consider or anything to know about the AKG?

Could you tell me why you eliminated the Audio Technicas? I have a friend who's in a similar situation.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 40
K81DJ, DT770 (used in FS board), PX100

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you tell me why you eliminated the Audio Technicas? I have a friend who's in a similar situation.

Hmm, because AT is not exactly known for their strong bass. I love AT but its just not what I'm looking for and the ES7 look hardly portable. The K81 is as big as I would like to go.

However I do wonder if the K81 will sound better than my V300 in terms of bass? I don't want to spend on headphones that I would not like. I want strong powerful bass but not muddy like the V300. Should I reconsider the PX-100? I'm no audiophile I don't need analytical headphones, I need something with a fun and enjoyable sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back