Budget of $400-$500 max - What should I get?
Sep 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yumchuckit

New Head-Fier
For a long time I have been searching for the best way to spend my money. I told myself that if I did well on my first set of exams I would upgrade from my UE600is and Sennheiser HD280s. Well, that day has come.

After searching this forum and looking at Amazon reviews I thought I had settled on some Green AKG Q701 and a Fiio E17 amp. However, this was resting on the fact that I believed I was getting a product made in Austria with the AKGs (to my disappointment now made in China). Last night, I started my search over again and ended up thinking that I should get the Grado SR325is without an amp.

Even though I have a nice chunk of cash, ideally I would not like to spend all of it; getting the most bang for my buck. Also I would like to buy new products.

I listen to a lot of Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop and RnB, and Electronica. 

So my question is: What would be best? Should I stick with what I originally planned? Or should I get the Grados? Or is there some other combination of headphones (SR80, AKG K 240 MK II, MDR V6, M50s, DT 880, DT 990) that I should consider? And with that combination- with or without an amp?

I look forward to seeing your responses. Thank you!

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Might help to know what sources your going to plug the DAC/amp into?
Open or closed headphone? does it even matter?

Maybe get the Fiio E17
and the Philips X1/28 Fidelio.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X? it's cheaper then the Fidelio.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
  Might help to know what sources your going to plug the DAC/amp into?
Open or closed headphone? does it even matter?

Maybe get the Fiio E17
and the Philips X1/28 Fidelio.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X? it's cheaper then the Fidelio.

Hello, thank you for your reply! I would prefer open ear. This will be plugged into most likely my laptop (Lenovo y500) and my Galaxy S4. 

Both of those headphones you suggested look awesome. In comparing the Philips and the ATH, just for clarification, you would recommend the Philips over the AD900x even though the 900s are cheaper?

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 6

Hello, thank you for your reply! I would prefer open ear. This will be plugged into most likely my laptop (Lenovo y500) and my Galaxy S4. 

Both of those headphones you suggested look awesome. In comparing the Philips and the ATH, just for clarification, you would recommend the Philips over the AD900x even though the 900s are cheaper?

I own the ATH-A900X, the closed version of the AD900X, so I have understanding of the series sound quality.
I chances are the Philips X1/28 Fidelio sounds better, not sure by how much.
The Philips Fidelio is around $240 used and $280 new.
So with an E17 (new $140, used?) your looking at $380 to $420 (plus any sales tax, but free shipping)

On Head-fi someone is selling their used AD900X, I would say to offer them $150, see if they take it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682578/audio-technica-ath-ad900x
With the E17, you might spend $300 or a little more, for the combo (plus any sales tax on the E17)
You would be happy enough with a AD900X/E17 combo

You could always sell off the AD900X in the future, but my A900X if my favorite for music.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 6
The AD 900x is a BIG step up from the A900x [I owned both still have my AD 900x] The 900x is REALLY nice for jazz and Classical, in addition it has enough bass for you to enjoy RnB and Hip Hop, [I liked it] although if your not used to a "linear" headphone the bass may sound a little thin for you

Still another option would be to grab yourself a Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Pro, actually I'm selling mine :O but I really enjoy it with classical and Jazz! Not to mention it's got a nice mid bass boost what adds a great kick and energy to RnB and Hip Hop

You can check out my review of it here Not to mention I'm only asking $125 for them and the E17 will drive them well [they need an amp] but I honestly do recommend them! If your wondering why I'm selling it would be because of a He 400 with J$money Pads and a Toxic Hybrid cable... my point the Dt 990 [which cost me $156 new] was only superceeded by a $500 [used headphone] so trust me it's an excellent headphone to own! 

I have a link to it with more pictures in my sig if your interested! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back