Budget mid centric IEM
Jul 30, 2015 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

heartandhead8

New Head-Fier
Hi fellows. I'm looking for a budget mid centric IEM with good soundstage (I want the music to come alive and surround me). I would pay around $100 or tops $150. I like the sound of the Shure se535 and I'm looking for mid forward earphones. I really would like for the vocals to sound crisp and when listening to fingerstyle guitar the mids should be super clear and defined. Any recommendations?

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 12
I'll suggest the Westone UM Pro 10 - a single BA driver gives a crystal clear picture but you'll need to achieve a good seal.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/westone-um-pro-10-single-driver-iem-earphones-clear.html

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 12
I'll suggest the Westone UM Pro 10 - a single BA driver gives a crystal clear picture but you'll need to achieve a good seal.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/westone-um-pro-10-single-driver-iem-earphones-clear.html

Thanks for your suggestion, Steve. Do you think the Westons UM 10 will be very clinical and cold (like the Etymotics)? Does it have good soundstage?
What's your opinion of the Shure se215. I know the higher end shures are mid centric, how do the cheaper ones compare? I've also seen kilipsch IEM's in my price range, what's your opinion of those?

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 12
I haven't tried the Westone UM10 in quite a while so my impression really falls back to a 'mental picture' I had at the time. I've tried the Etys and I'm pretty sure the Westone was a bit gentler but still with great clarity. The single BA gave a very pure, accurate sound, but I would say it was more musical than clinical.

The SE215 is a very good IEM for the price, I wouldn't say they were 'mid forward' but like the Westones I haven't heard them for quite a while. I can speak for the SE112 however - I own a pair of those and midrange is fairly prominent, although probably due to the treble being more relaxed. They're not bass heavy but not bass light either - it's again due to the laid back treble.

If you want an accurate toppy midrange the Westones might be good, if you want midrange which is clear and you're OK with missing a few high frequency details the SE112 might be worth a shot (and it's quite cheap too!). 'Crispness' is definitely a word for the Westones, not the Shures. The SE215 is not crisp either.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 12
I actually am kind of debating if I should cancel the Ostry and go for the HiFi re400....

The kc06a I actually do own. They aren't exclusively mid centric phones. The bass sections are definitely exciting. Vocals are present and highs are laid back.

There is more clarity with the re400 while remaining smooth. Perhaps the only inconvenience to consider is that you need to baby the hifimans, whereas the ostrys are more solid.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 12
The kc06a I actually do own. They aren't exclusively mid centric phones. The bass sections are definitely exciting. Vocals are present and highs are laid back.

There is more clarity with the re400 while remaining smooth. Perhaps the only inconvenience to consider is that you need to baby the hifimans, whereas the ostrys are more solid.

Interesting, based on what you're saying I would go for the Re-400 because of its clarity. I actually already ordered the Ostry KC06A and I also ordered the Shure SE315. Don't know why but that's what I did

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Interesting, based on what you're saying I would go for the Re-400 because of its clarity. I actually already ordered the Ostry KC06A and I also ordered the Shure SE315. Don't know why but that's what I did

The ostry isn't bad for its price. I might sell it one day. I dunno about the se315 though- but keep us posted on your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back