Budget LP cleaner: Audio Technica AT6012 or Discwasher D4+?
Dec 11, 2006 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I got my dad a truly entry level turntable (Audio-Technica AT-PL50) for Christmas.

He has a decades old lp collection that was bought brand new, but never cleaned carefully (maybe diskwasher cleaner).

He's no audiophile, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a record cleaner (was initially thinking of diskdoc.com, but seems like alot of effort and pretty expensive), so I am thinking about the Audio Technica AT6012 record cleaning kit:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/si...5bb/index.html

Anybody used this kit? If so, what do you think?

Or is the Discwasher D4+ better?

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Honestly, the brush might be good but I just cannot see that system doing a whole lot better than just the brush on its own.

If you want a good brush for cleaning, the goldring exstatic one (about $25 on ebay) is good, or a carbon fibre one for just removing surface dust.

Disc Doctor or the Allsop system (sorry just can't remember the name just now - hold on might be orbitrac!) would be a step up in effectiveness (but more labour of course).

Fran

Dec 12, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Dec 20, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 8
I use a bottle of spray record cleaner (whatever brand or formula you prefer) and microfiber cloths fron Wal-Mart. Go back to their automotive section and you'll find them in 6 packs iirc. You'll know they're the right ones coz they are white on one side and light blue on the other.

Lay one of the cloths on a flat surface and lay the record b side down. Fold another one of the cloths to approximate an applicator the width of the record. Spray the cleaner in 4 or 5 places on the record surface. Using your applicator, spread the fluid around following the grooves in the record. 4 or 5 times completely around should be sufficient. Move to a dry section of your applicator and remove any excess fluid remaining, following the record grooves. Repeat for the other side.

Immediately play the a side of your record which has had plenty of time to dry completely as it was the one you cleaned first! Obviously the b side will be dry by the time you get to it!
rolleyes.gif
I've found no need to use a record brush as the album will be pristine if you play it right away after cleaning.

The nice thing is the cloths are cheap and throwaway, and the microfiber does a wonderful job cleaning the record!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back