Budget Laptop
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ProbablyProdigy

New Head-Fier
I have been wanting to retire my HP Envy DV7. It's been great for multitasking, browsing and it even handles my occasional need for gaming. At only 35FPS though.

I am not interested in a desktop as a laptop is all i need and would use. I'm not strictly looking for a gaming computer because i really wouldn't mind a notebook or ultrabook. 

My max budget is 750 bucks. So far the only laptop that has appealed to me is the Lenovo Y40. I'd really like to stay out of that tablet; hybrid PC; folding crap.

If anyone has recently purchased a laptop for this price or under, i'd like to read some advice or suggestions. This is my first time buying a brand new laptop. Thanks! 

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 4
You should probably wait for the new broadwell chips from intel to be completely out. I say completely, because there are a few laptops that use their chips but are very expensive. Just wait a few months and search for laptops with Core M processors. They are basically the same performance as last gen processors but they are more efficient. They are so efficient, that they don't need a fan to cool them. So they are dead silent and don't get hot. I like to sit in the bed with my laptop and if you are not careful you can clog the vents and they overheat. Not with these new chips. I say it is worth the wait if you don't need it right away.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Late response:

I ended up going with a deal on Craigslist. This is was way out of my comfort zone but i received a 2011 Macbook Pro.

I wasn't planning on getting a Mac but i scored it for a record breaking 400 bucks. It's in damn near perfect cosmetic condition, 8gb of ram, 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, and a 256mb Nvidia Geforce 320m. I've only had it for about 48 hours but surprisingly, i love it! It's the 13 inch variant and I'm loving this screen size over my old beastly HP.

Now the only thing left before I'm completely satisfied is learning the OS.

Thanks for your response, i definitely considered it beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back