"Budget" interconnects and speaker wire?
May 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
Before upgrading the speakers and components in my budget system, I want to improve upon the interconnects and speaker wire I've got right now. A power cable might be invested at some point, but that will come after speakers and components.

If anyone can recommend anything under $100 (two interconnects and a pair of speaker wire) that would be fantastic.

May 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 16
May 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 16
Those Anti-Cables looked nice and I kept doing a bit of research, and found that generally the difference in quality isn't that substantial, relative to price, with the Blue Jeans.

I went ahead and purchased:

Belden 5000UE (5ft; bananas to bananas) x2
BJC LC-1 (1ft; Techflex) x2

Grand total was around $120 shipped, hoping there is as noticeable a difference as I'm expecting, but that shouldn't be hard considering I'm suing $15 garbage cable.

May 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Just be careful that you do not have to bend the 1 ft. BJC's very much. From what I have been recently told, they are relatively stiff and inflexible. I haven't received my 3 and 6 ft. pairs, mind you, but will report back when I do. Regardless, Blue Jeans is a oft-cited, well-respected company. Can't go wrong there. :)

May 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Anti cables are stiff as hell.
Just like clothes hanger wire..but they have a unique touch to the sound characteristics.
If you terminate your own, its relatively cheap but not as cheap as beldens or canares.

May 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Noticeable improvement! Music doesn't sound better or worse, just coming through more precise. It was as if before my music was navigating through fog before it hit me, and now it's just right there. Things are more pronounced, crisp, or I guess the term most thrown around is accurate. Music just is! Although it has exposed my speakers as the necessary next upgrade :frowning2:

May 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Noticeable improvement! Music doesn't sound better or worse, just coming through more precise. It was as if before my music was navigating through fog before it hit me, and now it's just right there. Things are more pronounced, crisp, or I guess the term most thrown around is accurate. Music just is! Although it has exposed my speakers as the necessary next upgrade :frowning2:

Impossible, placebo, blasphemy........

Good job. You found the truth for yourself.

May 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Not sure what you're going after here, but I'd never pay thousands of dollars for wiring. That is unless I had concrete evidence it's worth it...

May 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 16
There's no such thing as 'concrete' evidence when it comes to cables, I'm afraid.
ph34r.gif

That said, I am currently very happy with my bare-bones BJC LC-1's. Excellent. More or less lets you hear everything without any 'detractions'. And built impressively too. Those online pic's really don't do them justice. Glad that I didn't hurt my wallet too badly purchasing them and a pair of BJC toslink cables.

May 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
There's no such thing as 'concrete' evidence when it comes to cables, I'm afraid.
ph34r.gif

That said, I am currently very happy with my bare-bones BJC LC-1's. Excellent. More or less lets you hear everything without any 'detractions'. And built impressively too. Those online pic's really don't do them justice. Glad that I didn't hurt my wallet too badly purchasing them and a pair of BJC toslink cables.

You are right but unfortunately there is enough concrete evidence that cable make no audible difference but people will continue to believe what they like to believe. Sadly, very few people seem to be brave enough to challenge their own perception and admit that quite often things are different from the way they appear.

May 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Really happy with this stuff. I don't know what your budget is but it does the job as good as any and has a nice clean look to it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPH7O/ref=oss_product

edit: Looks like you have plenty of budget
biggrin.gif
but don't waste any money that you don't have to. Save the extra and buy some music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back