budget in-ears for classical?
Aug 14, 2015 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wijnands

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have philips 3590 in-ears for those times when the big Beyerdynamic isn't an option due to it's size. As far as bang-for-buck goes the philips are amazing but I want to get something a bit better.

Thing bothering me is that most reviews and adds for in-ears talk about base and despite my choice for a DT770-250 ohm for fullsize headphones I am not a basshead at all. I listen about 80% classical and 20% vintage jazz.

What I have been looking at so far

Sennheiser cx-300-II : for sale anywhere, gets good reviews in mainstream sites. I've handled them and found the sound muddy and the cables really fragile.

Soundmagic E10. At 40 euros right at the top of my budget. Gets good reviews but people do write that bass can be a touch muddy and present and the treble shrill. Added bonus, there's now dealers in my country selling these.

RHA MA-350: Also at the top of my budget and I'd need to import these via amazon. They do get good reviews as fairly neutral in sound and excellent build quality.

Final audio design heaven II: Get great reviews but at 80 euros far out of my budget. There's also a load of JBL in-ears in the shops now but those seem to be rubbish. Perhaps sony or philips, two very common brands here, make something decent but if they do I cannot find it among all the claims of "even more bass" on the packages.

Anyone any feedback on the soundmagic and the RHA? Any other suggestions?

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 13
I don't know what country you're in so I'm using Amazon.de as a guide to pricing in Euros.

The SoundMAGIC PL30 has been around for a while but is neutral with a good soundstage (40 Euros).

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-pl30-iem-earphones-black.html £29.99
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-pl30-iem-earphones-white.html £24.99

'Bassy' tends to dominate the entry level part of the market as that's what the kids want and tuning is geared for them. The MA350 is no exception, the E10 also - both have a 'V' shaped tuning with more emphasis on bass/treble than midrange. For your genres a more neutral tuning would be more suitable, along with decent soundstage.

The E50 is a more neutral version of the E10 with a touch more refinement but is more like 65 Euros.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 13
For classical music I suggest that you get a balanced armature IEM. I have the Sony XBA-1 and love it. I bought it last year after it was discontinued, and paid only $25 for it. The original price was $80. Since then, Sony discontinued the XBA10, and XBA-C10, as well as some other single driver balanced armature IEMs, which you might be able to get at a low price.

The Sony XBA-1(and single driver balanced armature IEMs in general) tend to have plenty of detail, nice midrange and highs, and bass that is slightly subdued. The bass is enough for me, but doesn't have enough impact for some.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 13
  Had to look up what a balanced armature is. Seems like a good bet.  Shame they're rather expensive and difficult to find here. 

On Ebay I see the XBA-C10 new with free worldwide shipping from Japan for under $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XBA-C10-Balanced-Armature-In-Earphone-Black-/161781082644?hash=item25aae76a14

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 13
  Yeah, that's the only one in my price range. Actually found a Czech dealer significantly below that because they have the white ones.

Sounds good. I think you will like it. 

A good review of the XBA-C10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjYDmGFG7E

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 13
As for some of  the other earphones you mentioned, I have the original Sennheiser CX300, which many say is not that different than the CX300II. Imo its bass is boomy, and it is very overpriced. 
The Soundmagic E10 gets good reviews for rock music. I have the Soundmagic ES18 which is said to sound very much like the E10. Some say they might have the same drivers. 
The ES18 is only $13 in the US, and imo sounds much better than the CX300. For the price, the ES18 is great. It is probably much better suited for rock music than classical though. 
The ES18 has a plastic housing, while the housing on the E10 is metal. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 13
Well... I ordered them. 23 euros including postage. I think I paid 9,95 for the philips 3590 and my DT770pro go for 130 euros nowadays. If the bang/buck ratio is according to either I'll be satisfied.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 13
  OK... Balanced armature it is for me from now on.. Even with 0 burn in time they sound lovely already.

I'm glad you enjoy it. Some have complained that some of the balanced armature IEMs that also have a dynamic driver like the XBA-H1 are too bassy for them, so I guess I'll stick with ones that have just a BA driver. The hybrid ones also tend to be much more expensive than the lower priced single BA earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back