Budget IEMs
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

adoit90

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

This past year I said goodbye to my old Shure E2C's after irrevocably pulling the cord out of the ear bud on accident.  Having been in school at the time, I was broke and couldn't even afford to replace them with a cheapo crap pair of ear buds even if I wanted, but now I'm out for the summer and have a job and thus money and am in the market.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up with the news, so I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there that fits my needs, tastes, and budget right now.  Any advice as to what may be good for me is greatly appreciated.  

I will be using these mostly while running or doing other exercise, so a fit that will stay in well is important.  Also, when I work out, I tend to listen to fast, bass-heavy music such as hip-hop/rap or techno, so strong bass is an important aspect to me.  Lastly, although I have a job now, I am still a student and will be broke again soon enough; the cheaper I can go on these, the longer I put off going broke.  I'm looking for something $60 or under if possible (feel free to suggest something higher if you think it's worth it though).  

Thanks in advance for any advice, your help is greatly appreciated,
Andrew

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
ive never heard the R02, im sure its great but i cant really recommend something ive not heard

That would be a good reason haha.  Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm going to chicago soon anyways, so I'll probably try to find these models in various stores and test them out to decide my preference while I'm there.  

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I was just reading ljokerl's massive 81 IEM review and the R03's and MEElectronic M6's stood out in particular to me.  Any particular reason you recommend the R03 over the R02?  

The R03 feels slightly more solid than the R02 and the shell is designed a little better in terms of sleeping in them, etc. But looks/feel can be deceiving and the R02 housing is time-tested while the R03 one is brand new. The R03 also sounds slightly better but without hearing both side by side I can't really tell the difference.

For gym use you may want to get the mp4nation version of the R03 (Brainwavz M2) because it comes with over-the-ear cable guides. 

Oh and you won't find any of these in stores, not in Chicago, not anywhere. Meelec is a US-based company but they haven't expanded to B&M retail locations yet and ViSang/Brainwavz are manufactured and sold right out of China.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Oh and you won't find any of these in stores, not in Chicago, not anywhere. Meelec is a US-based company but they haven't expanded to B&M retail locations yet and ViSang/Brainwavz are manufactured and sold right out of China.

That's disappointing, but it makes sense.  Which do you prefer, the m6 or the r02?  

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
adoit90 said:
That's disappointing, but it makes sense.  Which do you prefer, the m6 or the r02?  

For sound certainly the R02. However, the M6 has a great form factor for exercising and sleeping and Meelec's customer service/warranty are excellent.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 11
If you're in the USA, go to Best Buy and check out the Klipsch S4.  They're small, very lightweight, stay in place during exercise, and are the most comfortable iems I've ever used.  They have a strong bass and would be good for the genres you listen to.  They're about $80, and best buy has a very good return policy. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Sony EX40XB, Denon C710, ATH-CKS70, Vibe II,UE 5EB, S4 and M2.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back