Budget IEMs for prog rock/ metal - flat & detailed - can't decide between MH1C, Piston 2, 9927, any other suggestions?
Nov 30, 2014 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

My XBA 1s died recently and although I fixed them up they still require an annoying amount of wire twisting until the right earbud kicks in. I'm looking for some new IEMs to replace them, with a budget of around £20/£25 although I'd be happier spending around £10 - £15. 

I listen to rock and metal, ranging from Pink Floyd and Muse to Mastodon, Gojira, and very intricate and heavy stuff like The Faceless, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Sikth, etc.

I'm looking for a flat response, good instrument separation (the most complex heavy stuff started to sound a bit mushy on the XBAs), very detailed and accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think V-shape sound sig was good for rock so I'm looking for something more analytical and flat, warm or mid centric is probably OK too? Also I think "fast" IEMs are good as some fast tracks can sound like they're not keeping up on my XBAs (may have got the use of this term completely wrong), and the XBAs can sound too distorted and grainy at times, I know the guitars are distorted but it can sound a bit out of control at times as if the XBAs can't distinguish the distorted sounds from the cleaner sounds properly.

I'm able to EQ as well so if you have any experience of EQing the following earphones I'd be grateful if you could point out which sound better after EQ as well.

So here's my shortlist so far, which of these is best for my requirements/ are there better IEMs I've missed?:

1. Sony MH1C
  2. Xiaomi Piston 2
  3. Monoprice 9927
  4. Philips SHE3590

Are any of these actually better than the XBAs, because although I need a new pair of IEMs I'd rather not regress as I may as well put up with the XBAs in that case.

If I had the money I'd be aiming for something like the Hifiman RE-400 or Etymotic Research sound. Bearing in mind the Ety kids are available for around £36, even though this is outside my current budget would you recommend the stretch?

These mods for the MH1C and 9927 (and here) look interesting too, if I were willing to do these I would be able to achieve a similar sound to the more expensive sets listed above?

I'd also like someone to confirm whether these MH1C on Amazon are compatible with a non-Sony smartphone, as I've heard people claim the sound quality can decrease if not used with a Sony phone.

Other than that, I'll add that I'm playing 320kbps mp3s on a rooted and AOSPed Samsung Galaxy SIII with Boeffla sound mod which has features such as DAC Direct, DAC Oversampling, and FLL tuning. I've mentioned this just in case it's relevant, as I know sound source is important but I have no plans to buy an amp.

Thanks alot, sorry for all the questions, I hope I've shown I have in fact been doing extensive research myself so I'm not just taking the easy option, I just need some final things cleared up for me. Cheers :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Bump.... Pistons may not be viable as I can't find a decent UK seller (all the Amazon ones are dodgy). Also Philips SHE3590 are supposed to be good, however are the MH1 and Monos still better? I've read Monos are still best after EQ + mods?

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 7
The pistons, Philips and Sony are all quite bass heavy and it doesnt sound like thats what you want, so given that the Monoprices are probably your best choice out of those. They sound midcentric to me and overall pretty natural sounding. However the fit is kinda awkward and the cable is annoying.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 7
The pistons, Philips and Sony are all quite bass heavy and it doesnt sound like thats what you want, so given that the Monoprices are probably your best choice out of those. They sound midcentric to me and overall pretty natural sounding. However the fit is kinda awkward and the cable is annoying.

Interesting, I've read various places that the MH1 is miles better but then some people claim the Monoprice beat everything in that price range (the Sony's are higher rated here which seems to be a reliable source, a member here). Are the Monoprice phones still better even if the MH1 were EQed to lessen the bass? I take it that if the Monos are more detailed in the first place then its easier to improve them through EQ than try to improve the MH1 the same way? Sorry again for the Qs, I'm just confused by all the conflicting views, I can't tell if the MH1 lovers just prefer bass or if the Monoprices are genuinely better. Thanks for you help :)

P.S. How much more would I need to spend to do better than the Monos? If I can get much better for not much more I'd be interested to hear your recommendations. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Interesting, I've read various places that the MH1 is miles better but then some people claim the Monoprice beat everything in that price range (the Sony's are higher rated here which seems to be a reliable source, a member here). Are the Monoprice phones still better even if the MH1 were EQed to lessen the bass? I take it that if the Monos are more detailed in the first place then its easier to improve them through EQ than try to improve the MH1 the same way? Sorry again for the Qs, I'm just confused by all the conflicting views, I can't tell if the MH1 lovers just prefer bass or if the Monoprices are genuinely better. Thanks for you help :)

P.S. How much more would I need to spend to do better than the Monos? If I can get much better for not much more I'd be interested to hear your recommendations. 

I have the Sony SBH80 which is the wireless version of the MH1C. And it is A LOT better sounding than the Monoprice. The Sony are thicker, warmer, more lush, a lot bassier, especially in the subbass. The Monoprice have very little subbass in comparison and their bass is more in the mid and upper bass. But its not prominent and overall is more mid centric than anything which is probably why they are so liked for rock. And im trying to think of something midcentric and better than the Monoprice, the only thing that comes to mind is the RE-400 and UE600. But those might be out of your budget.

Since your needs are a little bit more specific and on a lower budget, i would ask in the big multi iem review thread by user ljokerl

Im on my phone so cant link to it, but hes very responsive and helpful

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the Sony SBH80 which is the wireless version of the MH1C. And it is A LOT better sounding than the Monoprice. The Sony are thicker, warmer, more lush, a lot bassier, especially in the subbass. The Monoprice have very little subbass in comparison and their bass is more in the mid and upper bass. But its not prominent and overall is more mid centric than anything which is probably why they are so liked for rock. And im trying to think of something midcentric and better than the Monoprice, the only thing that comes to mind is the RE-400 and UE600. But those might be out of your budget.

Since your needs are a little bit more specific and on a lower budget, i would ask in the big multi iem review thread by user ljokerl

Im on my phone so cant link to it, but hes very responsive and helpful

I've asked there and am getting lots of help, thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back