Budget IEMs for jogging and gym use
Jun 4, 2006 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AngryGuy

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, I realize that there are a ton of threads on IEMs so I apologize in advance. I've used the search feature and read tons of them and found some great suggestions, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a cheap (around $100 or less) pair of IEMs that I can use at the gym. Most of the time they are going to be driven by a small capacity DAP (iriver clix 2gb) so sound quality doesn't need to be overly good. Looking around on the forum, I've found the following that look good: iM716, Westone UM1, CX300, ER6i, and Creative ep 630.

One thing I'm concerned about is that I might want to use these headphones for outdoor jogging if at all possible. Not a big deciding factor, but I'd like the option. Do any of them not have excessive isolation where this would be possible?

I was pretty much ready to order the iM716s until I read about the microphonics issues with them and how it might not be so great for jogging. At this point I'm leaning towards either the CX300 or the Creative ep 630 since they are so cheap, but I'm worried that I won't be satisfied with the sound quality if I should decide to use them while not at the gym.

Anyway, I'm looking for some opinions on the IEMs I listed, or on any I missed that might be good for me. Thanks a lot.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Try the Sennheiser MX-75 sport. They look a bit odd because they have a little "knob" type thingy that secures them into your ear specifically for sports.

They also aren't canal-phone isolation ones like the CX300, so will probably allow you to hear some ambient noise (judging by their design)

About 3/4 the price of the CX300 too
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
I say to stick with your decision of iM716's. As long as you use the clip on the volume control so that it takes the weight off, you will have no problem with jogging. If some microphonics are still getting in from lifting weights or anything, there is another alternative, to wrap the IEM cord around the ear, works wonders, I don't pick up a single microphonic and stays put for the most part.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryGuy
Does anyone know how the comfort level of the iM716's compares to the cheaper CX300 or ep630?

I think the UM1s are just slightly above what I want to pay.

The iM716s are IEMs, the other two are not. They are canal phones, and don't go as deep into your ear. One reason is the much larger driver. IEMs and hearing aids use a more expensive balanced armature transducer. This is what is used in the iM716, UM1, -2, etc. These have a faster transient response, and therefore are more articulate.

The IEMs will be quite comfortable with a good fit. A good fit can be obtained by anyone, IMO. Tri-flanges can be modded (large ear canals- cut off the outer, smaller flange; small ear canals- trim off the inner, large flange), or buy ER6i tips, which come in different sizes (and are reported to fit the iM716).

I much prefer foamies, which fit a wider size range and give a better SQ, in my experience. Even here size matters. There is also a DIY foamie thread where you can make your own foamies from earplugs.

Cheers-

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 17
cx300's sound brilliant for the price. However, I wouldn't suggest them for jogging - I ended up returning mine cause they kept falling out in the gym (and this was using static machines - so much less movement than there'd be if jogging). Of course, they may be a better fit for people with different shaped ear canals to mine...

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jon_m
cx300's sound brilliant for the price. However, I wouldn't suggest them for jogging - I ended up returning mine cause they kept falling out in the gym (and this was using static machines - so much less movement than there'd be if jogging). Of course, they may be a better fit for people with different shaped ear canals to mine...

That's funny, I use my EP-630s at the gym and they never fell off :X

They sound pretty good for the price, but the shrill, grating highs annoys me after long periods of listening. Still sound impressive with some material though.

I was considering the Altec Lansings as an upgrade, but apparently it'd take me a lot of time each time I need to remove them and put them back in, so it isn't all that attractive.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffer74
Try the Sennheiser MX-75 sport. They look a bit odd because they have a little "knob" type thingy that secures them into your ear specifically for sports.

They also aren't canal-phone isolation ones like the CX300, so will probably allow you to hear some ambient noise (judging by their design)

About 3/4 the price of the CX300 too
biggrin.gif

I've got the OMX70's on order from newegg.com. Will post a review after I've used them for a while.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 17
What about the Beyerdynamic SX10? Never heard it before though, but when excercising (jogging especially), it should be no biggie =)

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Doesn't the "THUMP" sound in your ears with each step bother IEM users when using them to work out or jog?

I have super.fi 5 pros and I walk all over the place with them, but if my head is at the wrong angle (looking down) while I walk, or if I break out in a jog (trying to make a traffic light), each step I make yields a thump sound in my ears from the IEM being jogged in my ear.

Normal walking with my head at a straight-ahead angle minimizes the thumping, but I would think strenuous movement would amplify it.

Does this not happen to most other people, or do you just ignore it?

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 17
Angry Guy -- I have the Creatives, and I really like them for the price (I was listening to them on a city bus today -- no true isolation, but my music came through clearly without having to resort to excessive volume ... I could hear bus noises and announcements well enough) ... but I think there would be some microphonics with the cords while you were running unless you used an Etymotics clip (or rigged up some kind of clip) or tried looping the wires over your ears. In a non-exercising environment, I'm reasonably pleased with them -- they're not at the level of Shure E3C's or Etymotics ER-6's, but then they're not priced in that range, either.

The Creatives are good, for what they are, and their affordability might make you more comfortable using them in a workout environment. The Altecs would almost certainly sound and isolate better (and cost more), if you want to go that way ...

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 17
I use the UE super.fi 5EB's for jogging, and they work great, but I have to use the foamies to get them to stay in. This also eliminates any "step" related noise. And the 5EB isolate less than most IEM's, so they are good for outdoor jogging. The wrap-wire also really helps them stay in place.

They are $150, though...

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 17
Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I ended up going with the Altecs.

If I find they aren't suitable for the gym it won't kill me to buy a $30 pair of ep630s and use the altecs at other times. Thanks a lot guys.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 17
Have both the EP-630 and UM1. For their prices, both are great.

However, I believe that UM1 will be a better buy, given its "livelier" sound. It can be used for other occasions such as commuting too, due to its great isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back