Budget IEM Recommendations
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Prim8NChief

Head-Fier
So I am looking for my next pair of IEMs. I'm interested in a more bassy iem than my Audio Technica ATH-IM02s. I've also used the Klipsch S4s in the past and those weren't very bassy either. My budget is $75 and under. However, getting headphones for under $40ish makes me a happy camper. The options I've looked at so far are

Omars Wood In-Ear Headphones ($26)

BlitzWolf BW-ES2 ($17)

DUNU DN-12 Trident ($26)

Sony MDRXB50AP Extra Bass ($30)

Betron YSM1000 ($14)

Zero Audio Tenore ($46)

KZ ZS3 ($15)

KZ ZS6 ($42)

Could you guys recommend any of these that I've listed? If there are any recommendations not on the list please share.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi Prim8NChief,

I suggest looking at the Shozy Hibiki as well.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi Prim8NChief,

I only recommend stuff I own or have experience with.
As I own the Shozy Hibiki, I can heartily recommend them for being a good low cost (relative to other IEMs out there, not necessarily to your list) value option though I find it amusing the replaceable cable it comes with is worth about the same if not more retail than the actual IEM.
I mainly use them around the house & I generally reach for them over other more pricey IEMs I have.
Depends what you mean by bassy, they certainly have good bass response so as long as your source has good bass response, you will be more than fine.
In terms of clarity, this is subjective & personal & once again, source dependant.
Clarity & imaging are good, if not better than expected for this budget level but I generally don't go by brand or look, separation is also source dependant but there is enough to notice.

As a closing note, I doubt you be disappointed for the money & value they offer.

If you need more help, let me know.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 14
You might look into a SoundMAGIC E10 and a FiiO FH1. Maybe read about them and see what you think. Both are bassy, esp more so the FH1. It is possible one of these could work for you.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Hi Prim8NChief,

I suggest looking at the Shozy Hibiki as well.
Hi Prim8NChief,

I only recommend stuff I own or have experience with.
As I own the Shozy Hibiki, I can heartily recommend them for being a good low cost (relative to other IEMs out there, not necessarily to your list) value option though I find it amusing the replaceable cable it comes with is worth about the same if not more retail than the actual IEM.
I mainly use them around the house & I generally reach for them over other more pricey IEMs I have.
Depends what you mean by bassy, they certainly have good bass response so as long as your source has good bass response, you will be more than fine.
In terms of clarity, this is subjective & personal & once again, source dependant.
Clarity & imaging are good, if not better than expected for this budget level but I generally don't go by brand or look, separation is also source dependant but there is enough to notice.

As a closing note, I doubt you be disappointed for the money & value they offer.

If you need more help, let me know.

Well you’ve got me convinced. These do seem like a solid choice. I just don’t know how they compare to the ones on my list though. I know all of the ones I’ve mentioned have good reviews on them. I don’t wanna ignore all the great things I’ve heard about the dunus, BlitzWolf, the KZ line, etc. Can you shed some light on the ones I’ve listed and their performance? I understand if you can’t.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi Prim8NChief,

As said, I can't recommend anything I have no experience with & appreciate your understanding in advance.
That being said, I have heard good things myself about your original list but personally too much a gamble to pick one or a few of those essentially at random without demo without potentially getting burned if it doesn't turn out to be good (at least to me).
Whereas something like the Hibiki comes from a company with a good background (at least to me at any rate) in decent audio plus I am familiar with the company which made their cable for the Hibiki so at least if the in ears turned out to be average or at least not good, the cable could be used instead, so basically, all I'm saying if it wasn't clear already is I wasn't disappointed.
This is why I can recommend the Shozy Hibiki to you in the first place but as said, my personal & highly subjective opinion.

As a closing note, there are a few good reviews out for some time for the Shozy Hibiki though as with any review, take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 14
KZ ZS3 ($15)

KZ ZS6 ($42)

Might also consider the ZSR, which many folks seem to find have less piercing treble than some of the other KZ models. I've got a pair; they're pretty good and certainly have plenty of bass. I find them very v-shaped, but I gather that's KZ's thing.

Might also be worth waiting a week or two for some more reviews of the new ZS10 to come in.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 14
Might also consider the ZSR, which many folks seem to find have less piercing treble than some of the other KZ models. I've got a pair; they're pretty good and certainly have plenty of bass. I find them very v-shaped, but I gather that's KZ's thing.

Might also be worth waiting a week or two for some more reviews of the new ZS10 to come in.

Thanks for the input. I actually found great things about the ZSR after I made this post. So, I have been considering them. I'm also considering the ZS5 because I can get a pair of those for only $25. Which is around the same price as the ZSR. Based off what you're saying, the ZSR still may be a better option than the ZS5s even though ZS5 has one more driver.

At the same time I am so close to ordering a ZS10. I feel the urge to pre-order tomorrow. GearBest lowered the price to 38.50 which makes me want them even more. I'm so conflicted. :confused:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the input. I actually found great things about the ZSR after I made this post. So, I have been considering them. I'm also considering the ZS5 because I can get a pair of those for only $25. Which is around the same price as the ZSR. Based off what you're saying, the ZSR still may be a better option than the ZS5s even though ZS5 has one more driver.

At the same time I am so close to ordering a ZS10. I feel the urge to pre-order tomorrow. GearBest lowered the price to 38.50 which makes me want them even more. I'm so conflicted. :confused:

I wouldn't read too much into the driver count.

I haven't listened to the ZS5, but my understanding from what I've read is that they or the ZS6 will probably have better detail than the ZSR but if you're treble sensitive at all, then they could be painful. However, there are lots of mods folks on the KZ thread have documented to deal with the treble if it is a problem.

The ZS10 is interesting because of the crossover and since some early reports say the treble isn't as hot as the ZS6/etc., but I'd say give it a little time for more folks to get their hands on it and report back. : )

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 14
Tenores are nice but I would never expect anyone to put them in the bassy category. FWIW

Edit: Verified owner and fan btw. Still not bassy, though. Have sought extra bass myself...ended up, overall, in the closed-back over ear world! Still go back to tenores on occasion though. Still love them too. And still wish they just had more low end.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 14
I wouldn't read too much into the driver count.

I haven't listened to the ZS5, but my understanding from what I've read is that they or the ZS6 will probably have better detail than the ZSR but if you're treble sensitive at all, then they could be painful. However, there are lots of mods folks on the KZ thread have documented to deal with the treble if it is a problem.

The ZS10 is interesting because of the crossover and since some early reports say the treble isn't as hot as the ZS6/etc., but I'd say give it a little time for more folks to get their hands on it and report back. : )

Yeah I'm trying to stay away from piercing treble. I'm assuming by isn't as hot you mean the treble on the ZS10 is not as good as the ZS6? I know you're saying give it more time which is a good idea but I might give in and buy. I think the price might shoot back up on Gear Best so I want to buy while its low. Do you know if the price on Gear Best fluctuates a bunch? Should I expect it to go back up?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 14
I'm assuming by isn't as hot you mean the treble on the ZS10 is not as good as the ZS6?

Not as intense/piercing. (I.e., less treble.) I think there are even some folks concerned there's too little treble. But also I saw at least one saying there is too much. So who knows. : )

I don't know about pricing, but if you ask on the KZ thread, folks there will be able to tell you for sure. I'm going to wait for (a) more reviews and (b) Amazon prime shipping, myself.

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Not as intense/piercing. (I.e., less treble.) I think there are even some folks concerned there's too little treble. But also I saw at least one saying there is too much. So who knows. : )

I don't know about pricing, but if you ask on the KZ thread, folks there will be able to tell you for sure. I'm going to wait for (a) more reviews and (b) Amazon prime shipping, myself.

Gotcha. I’ll definitely ask on the KZ thread. Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back