Budget IEM recommendation for upgrade from SE215
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

djd97

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at replacing my 9 year old pair of SE215s. I tend to like a a bass heavy v-signature. They will be used for music/movies/tv and generally only when commuting. I was eyeing the CCA CRA and Tangzu Wan'er, but was wondering if there are other options I should be considering AND if they are a significant enough upgrade over my current SE215s or if I need to aim higher to see real improvements.

Mar 29, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 4
I've been looking at replacing my 9 year old pair of SE215s. I tend to like a a bass heavy v-signature. They will be used for music/movies/tv and generally only when commuting. I was eyeing the CCA CRA and Tangzu Wan'er, but was wondering if there are other options I should be considering AND if they are a significant enough upgrade over my current SE215s or if I need to aim higher to see real improvements.

Many modern day CHIFI kill the Shure SE215 in terms of technical performance, for a fraction of the price.

Would recommend the IKKO OH10. V-shaped, big bass, and more technical than the SE215. Only thing is it has large shells, so see if you can audition a pair first.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Many modern day CHIFI kill the Shure SE215 in terms of technical performance, for a fraction of the price.

Would recommend the IKKO OH10. V-shaped, big bass, and more technical than the SE215. Only thing is it has large shells, so see if you can audition a pair first.
I'm not quite ready to spend that much since my use is still somewhat limited. If I could get big improvements for under $30 I'd be willing to jump on it; under $100 I'd consider upgrading. After that, I would have a hard time rationalizing it.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Right now I have a pair of Penon Vortex that I've been very happy with. I also use them when I'm out and about and I find the shells are super comfortable, light and make barely any wind noise. In terms of bass, it's one of the most impactful iems I have.

Blon BL-03 is another pair that I like a lot and use for running. It's less technical than the Vortex but it's pretty good for me and I've had a hard time finding any other iems that can rival its impact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back