Budget Home Theater Reciver Upgrade ($250 Max)
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

defianttek

New Head-Fier
My parents HT reciever and sub had a power supply failure, so I am giving them mine, allowing me to buy a new reciever. Currently i am using a Pioneer VSX-820 and a Polk PSW10

This reciever will be used with polk audio Monitor (TSi) speakers ( 2x monitor40's, 2x monitor 30's, 1x monitor CS2) and the new definitive technology ProSub60 sub.

My main focus of this system is for music listening in my "studio apartment" (fraternity bedroom, 11'x13'x10' (LXWXH) with the capability of expanding to good enough Movie Watching. I understand that i will eventually upgrade my Front Speakers, but as for now, i don't have that money.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
My parents HT receiver and sub had a power supply failure, so I am giving them mine, allowing me to buy a new receiver. Currently I am using a Pioneer VSX-820 and a Polk PSW10
This receiver will be used with Polk audio Monitor (TSi) speakers ( 2x monitor40's, 2x monitor 30's, 1x monitor CS2) and the new definitive technology ProSub60 sub.
My main focus of this system is for music listening in my "studio apartment" (fraternity bedroom, 11'x13'x10' (LXWXH) with the capability of expanding to good enough Movie Watching. I understand that i will eventually upgrade my Front Speakers, but as for now, I don't have that money.

As this is a headphone website, I'm guessing you'll be using headphone with this receiver?
Yamaha is about the only receiver brand that comes standard with true surround sound for headphones.
New Yamaha receivers would come with good support for Blu-ray audio.
But a used Yamaha receiver would offer better over all sound quality for the same cash.
Any good used Yamaha receiver made in the past 4 years would be a good buy.
A receiver that has Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-Master would be great for Blu-ray movie audio.

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I am not looking for something for headphones, my reasoning for coming to this website is its the only quality audio forum i have come across where people actually know what they are talking about.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Depending on your speakers' impedance, would any offering from Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Denon work at all? Because all four of them are supposed to be really good, and heck, I own a Sony AVR and really like it. Also, assuming you can find one used that's in good shape, Kenwood receivers are pretty good too.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I am not looking for something for headphones, my reasoning for coming to this website is its the only quality audio forum i have come across where people actually know what they are talking about.

AVSforum & AVforum are good sites for receiver info/help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back