Budget headphones
Jul 21, 2007 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

w33nie

New Head-Fier
From reviews and such, it seems that the EP630, the JVC Marshmallows, and the KSC75 are the best headphones for under $50. I listen to rock on my Cowon d2, which one should i get?

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 21
nope just pass ksc75 and go towards px100
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 21
you cannot be taken seriously if you have not owned ksc75. Just buy it. They are pretty much the standard by witch other budget cans are judged. they are easily modable if you don't like them in their stock form. You cannot lose.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 21
KSC75's certainly aren't sold at Best Buy. Actually, Best Buy hasn't carried Koss in over four years. I do know Radioshack carries KSC75's.

And, PX100's the best headphones under $50?! Puh-lease!
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by w33nie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon sells PX100's for 60 dollars..

Do they have to be burned in?

They're actually $45 on Amazon right now ... $35 if you get the white version. And no, they don't need to be burned in, they sound fine right out of the box. I don't remember how much of a burn-in process mine went through, but I was impressed by the sound right away, and still enjoy them now!

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 21
I have heard the KSC75 as well, though I obviously haven't spent as much time with them as my PX100.

On a pure sound-to-cost ratio basis, the KSC75 is a better value, but I do think that the PX100 sounds better. The thing about the KSC75 is, although it doesn't sound like a $20 headphone, it really looks and feels like one. The PX100 is much more solidly built, and of course comes with a headband (which is a big plus for me).

So, whether or not it's worth the extra money is really up to you. On a pure sound basis, I don't think the PX100 is worth twice as much as the KSC75. But when you factor in everything else, it's the choice I prefer. Either way you'll be getting great sound for the money, so it's really down to how much you feel like spending, or how strongly you feel for/against the clip-on style.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 21
As far as the KSC75 vs. PX100 the KSC75 are much better sounding to my ears. The PX100's were total crud to me, bloated bass, awful midrange and poor highs. The KSC75's are pretty good sounding, bass is alright, highs are sharp, midrange is a bit too loud for my tastes. But I prefer them and they are cheaper.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the KSC75 vs. PX100 the KSC75 are much better sounding to my ears. The PX100's were total crud to me, bloated bass, awful midrange and poor highs. The KSC75's are pretty good sounding, bass is alright, highs are sharp, midrange is a bit too loud for my tastes. But I prefer them and they are cheaper.

No offense, but is it the new or old version of the PX100 that you heard? I definitely wouldn't call the bass on mine bloated - I'd say it's only a smidge louder and looser than the bass on my MS-1, which aren't exactly bass monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back