Budget headphones with minimal leakage & doesn't isolate (For Office)
Jan 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I already own Klispch S4s and ATH-M50s and I absolutely love them. The problem is, however, that they completely isolate me from the outside world. I know many people enjoy that in their office environment, but I need to be able to hear if someone calls me from over the cube walls. What headphones do you guys suggest that produces decent sound (for a ~$65 price range) that doesn't close me off from outside noise completely? They don't necessarily have to be full-sized headphones. SOME sound leakage is acceptable as I will not be listening to music at high volume. I usually listen to trance & house music.

Thanks a lot! :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 7
The usual recommendation for a sub $100 open back headphone is the Grado SR-60i.  I bought mine new for $69 from Amazon, but it seems to be rare to find them for less than their normal price of $79.

Koss PortaPro's might work for you.  Very light, open back and good quality sound, if a bit bass heavy and not nearly as detailed as the Grado's.

Creative Aurvana Live are said to be less isolating than most closed headphones, but I didn't get to try  them long enough to get a definitive impression in that category.  Their price fluctuates wildly at Amazon, from their current bloated price of $99, down to $60 or so. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 7
It seems to me that he would be more interested in closed-back headphones that don't leak much sound, but also don't isolate you much from outside noise.  My old V150s are just like that, but their sound quality isn't very good.  Grados certainly don't isolate well, but they're also practically like having speakers pointing outwards that attach to your head, so they leak a large amount.  There may be some open headphones that don't leak very much I suppose. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
You know I've heard that stated here in the forums about Grado's, but in real life situations, playing the Grado's at normal listening levels, I've not experienced that much sound coming out the back of them. I believe that has been exaggerated to some extent.  Or maybe I play them at lower levels than you guys.

They certainly leak more than my AKG K240's (semi-open). 

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Im also against the Grado's in terms of leaking. I think if they got even a simple sliver more open than they are already, it'd be mre effect to listen to the headphones backwards... YES, they leak that much. Oddly enough though, while the isolation is bad, it seems to isolate reasonably enough... Which isnt want you want either.

The sound quality is great, but for your needs, just say no.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 7
I can recommend the Creative Aurvana Live. They have minimal sound leakage but relatively poor isolation compared to other closed-back headphones I tried. I use them at work for precisely these reasons, as they allow me to hear what's going on around me without disturbing anyone with my music. They are also very lightweight and comfortable. They replaced my Shure SRH440 at work, which isolated too well and were also less comfortable. I bought them on Amazon for around $65.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I can recommend the Creative Aurvana Live. They have minimal sound leakage but relatively poor isolation compared to other closed-back headphones I tried. I use them at work for precisely these reasons, as they allow me to hear what's going on around me without disturbing anyone with my music. They are also very lightweight and comfortable. They replaced my Shure SRH440 at work, which isolated too well and were also less comfortable. I bought them on Amazon for around $65.

This. I can attest too that they have relatively poor isolation at low volume, and I can hold a conversation with someone when I'm not playing any music, to my chagrin. But they don't leak at all as far as I know. It can 'isolate' pretty well when I'm playing music at average volume (around 50% laptop volume and 50% foobar's), but any lower than that can and will lower the isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back