Budget headphones with ANC at ~$100
Oct 28, 2023 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

milkwaffle

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping for someone to point me at some 'best bang for your buck' headphones at around this price range. I realize that it may seem like I'm wanting everything for a small price, but I understand that's not what I'm going to get. My usecase is amateur game development.

If they're wireless, I would need the battery life to be long or have the battery be swappable, I'd sometimes be using them for hours (16+) without a long break.
I'd like the noise cancelling to be good enough to cancel out loud voices nearby and construction noises in the distance.
From what I understand, sound quality generally diminishes when anc is active, so while it's active I'd be using them to listen to music. I do like music, but I think 'sound quality while anc is active' is the easiest sacrifice to make when considering the price as long as it's not too too bad. I'm also going to use them to make amateur sound / music production, but I can limit this to the times of day when I don't need the anc.
Comfort would be nice since I'd be wearing them for so long, but as long as they're not actively damaging me, it should be fine.
They don't need to last forever, I'd hope to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 4
The Sennheiser hd450 has the best noise cancelling and isolation of any of the dozen I've tried for the business. They cancelled a leaf blower outside the front door, and I wouldn't wear them outside because I was worried about not hearing cars coming.
If you want the vakue for money award winners with isolation but not cancelling, it's the Cloud Stinger Core for $30 with shipping from eBay liquidators. Epic battery life and if you don't install the software and disable windows effects, in stereo mode you'll be thrilled what $30 can get you.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4
The Sony ANC Blutooth headphones seem to work really well.

My wife has a set of Sony CH700N, and even though they were the entry level model, they work really well. Battery life is meant to be over 30 hours, and I have no reason to doubt it, even after several years of use. The sound quality doesn‘t seem to suffer with ANC on.

As for loud voices nearby, I‘m not sure any active noise cancelling can deal with them properly. It’s more for constant noises, like aircraft engines on a flight, or traffic noise. It will reduce the sound of people talking, but maybe not as well as you are hoping.

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 4
JBL 710BT is great value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back