Budget headphones for hearing impaired
Feb 1, 2015 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andrewberge

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in an auditorium setting and need to find good headphones for use by the hearing impaired.
I received a complaint that the current set we're using is uncomfortable (and it is).

So i need something very comfortable, very sensitive (read: can play loud), and preferably under $50.
I might be able to go over that budget if it's really good.
Sound quality is pretty much my lowest priority, since it'll be used mostly for mono speech.

A shot in the dark, but any tips?

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 7
From time to time we see questions along the vein that you have posted.

In large part this is a medical question and one that is closely tied to you particular hearing issues and possible vulnerabilities.  There is no way to safely provide helpful and useful advice over a general forum--and most particularly through a soup to nuts headphones recommendation thread.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 7
  I'm in an auditorium setting and need to find good headphones for use by the hearing impaired.
I received a complaint that the current set we're using is uncomfortable (and it is).

So i need something very comfortable, very sensitive (read: can play loud), and preferably under $50.
I might be able to go over that budget if it's really good.
Sound quality is pretty much my lowest priority, since it'll be used mostly for mono speech.

A shot in the dark, but any tips?

You might check out a company called Encore Data Products. They have a section called classroom headphones.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 7
My father was profoundly hearing impaired his entire adult life. All of the headphone products marketed "for the hearing impaired" that he ever tried were simply awful. Uncomfortable & horrible sound. I also agree that hearing loss can be either very specific or very broad. My father had a fairly specific frequency range where he still had some ability to hear. His hearing aids were programmed to provide as much sound as possible within that range. I always thought it might be helpful if the "hearing impaired" headphones had more ability to tune the response - not just a volume control. But, I'm not an audiologist or sound engineer.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 7

You might check out a company called Encore Data Products. They have a section called classroom headphones.

I will, thanks :)

From time to time we see questions along the vein that you have posted.

In large part this is a medical question and one that is closely tied to you particular hearing issues and possible vulnerabilities.  There is no way to safely provide helpful and useful advice over a general forum--and most particularly through a soup to nuts headphones recommendation thread.

My father was profoundly hearing impaired his entire adult life. All of the headphone products marketed "for the hearing impaired" that he ever tried were simply awful. Uncomfortable & horrible sound. I also agree that hearing loss can be either very specific or very broad. My father had a fairly specific frequency range where he still had some ability to hear. His hearing aids were programmed to provide as much sound as possible within that range. I always thought it might be helpful if the "hearing impaired" headphones had more ability to tune the response - not just a volume control. But, I'm not an audiologist or sound engineer.

Thanks for these posts. I've never really thought about how hearing loss can vary and needs to be dealt with differently from person to person.
Unfortunately i can't force someone to get proper hearing aids. I'll be sure to mention the issue though.
Am i correct in the assumption that this could actually worsen someone's condition?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 7
A good solution that is inexpensive for hearing impaired headphone would be Caliphone company.  They provide headphones for educators and solutions for impairment or hearing loss.  Most of the headphones are under 20 dollars.  One important thing to remember about hearing loss headphones is they do not have to have the best frequency response as most of those students will be better assisted by boosting midrange rather than high and low.

My wife uses this in her lab along with a Radio Shack amplified listener model no 3301097.  This amplified listener has a 3 band equalizer volume and balance control.   The equalizer allows a student or teacher to adjust the audio to a level they can best hear within.  This unit is in stereo with two pickup microphones on front of unit.  They also make mono units of the listener that for many hearing impaired students assists with auditory processing.  

Other solutions are to use a T-Coil neck loop that can provide a direct connection to hearing aides.  Another solution is to provide bluetooth technology or connection directly to hearing aides.

Please contact me if you have further questions.

David
APP Apple Channel Partner
BAV NYC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back