Budget headphones for general audio use
Dec 26, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 31
Well the thing about the UR-40 from what I read is it takes a lot of power to run, and I do intend to use them for small and portable stuff as well. I've dealt with some of Koss's stuff before so I have an idea of how it is in that aspect.

Dec 26, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator
Well the thing about the UR-40 from what I read is it takes a lot of power to run, and I do intend to use them for small and portable stuff as well. I've dealt with some of Koss's stuff before so I have an idea of how it is in that aspect.

UR-40s are perfectly usable straight out of any source, and don't require an amp any more than any of the other Koss 40mm titanium driver phones.

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 31
I read they're comfortable, but is durability a concern for them?

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 31
Maybe check out a pair of D33 Eggos, or other phones from that line that you can afford. I'd reccommend the D66's, but they are nearly double your price ... but they are awesome for an all around headphone IMO

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 31
Stay away from the sens 212, they got too much bass. The HD 497 are the best deal under 100euros imho...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisco
Stay away from the sens 212, they got too much bass. The HD 497 are the best deal under 100euros imho...
rolleyes.gif

Yeah I started to wonder about that, because I read bass is really heavy for a lot of the Sennheisers at this price level. I like bass, but let's be reasonable, it shouldn't drown out virtually everything else.

I'm getting a lot of recommendations for the UR-40s now though. A couple of things still stick to the back of my mind. Impedance is at around 60 ohms, versus 32 on a lot of others, so I guess that means it needs you to crank the volume a lot more than usual to get normal levels. Next is durability, and while I don't have a lot to go on, from the pics the frame looks rather thin and flimsy.

Since the HD497s are harder to find, would any of you say the Beyerdynamic DT231 is a good alternative?

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator
I'm getting a lot of recommendations for the UR-40s now though. A couple of things still stick to the back of my mind. Impedance is at around 60 ohms, versus 32 on a lot of others, so I guess that means it needs you to crank the volume a lot more than usual to get normal levels.

Nah, 60 ohms is not much more than 32 ohms, in the scheme of things.

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisco
rolleyes.gif

...with the HD485.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
...with the HD485.
smily_headphones1.gif

well if I were getting something at that level I might as well get the SR60 instead. Then the decision would be a lot easier to make, and I wouldn't really be in this position.

I really think I'll be getting the UR40 now. I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them. I thank everyone for being so helpful! You do a good job of making the new people feel welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #27 of 31
As we speak there are five pairs of Sennheiser 497s on ebay. These are really the best deal IMHO under a $100 and I own the Beyer 231s, the Senn 202s, and have owned or currently own Shures, Grados, AKGs, Highend phones, blah, blah

For bang for the buck and an entry level audiophile phone, I still love the Sennheiser 497.

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 31
Hey, I can get the Sennheiser EH350s for $63.27 shipped. I might spring for those.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #29 of 31
Of the ones on your list I'm very familiar with the HD201, DT231 and K26P, and own an XD200 as well. I like the HD201 very much, and would highly recommend it to you. Don't worry that it costs only $20 instead of $50. It sounds better than headphones that cost a good deal more, and it is comfortable, adequately sturdy, and circumaural.

I'm one of the people who's heard both "first batch" and "later generation" K26Ps, and I recommend you stay away, as the later one in no way qualified as any sort of audiophile experience. (You should strike the two AKGs from your list anyway since they are comparable in cup size to the Senn PX and PXC series that you've decided against.)

IMO the DT231 is a pretty poor headphone. It has bass that goes pretty deep, and the highs now and then have their good moments, but everything in between is indistinct mush. It also leaks, despite its closed-looking design. The earcups are a little on the small side, a possible comfort issue if you have ears that don't fit them well.

The XD200 is not bad, but between it and the HD201 I'd choose the HD201.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back