Budget headphone+speaker amp
Feb 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CaptainRusko

Head-Fier
I have some DT880's and may be getting a T50rp soon as well as getting some cheap speakers that do not need a whole lot of power to drive. Any suggestions on an amp that can do both jobs for under £50~ if that's not asking too much. 

Ideas atm

Topping TP30
Scythe 1100 or later
Second hand nad amps

Sorry about being a cheap student.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 4
I've found that quite often older hi fi amps actually have a pretty reasonable headphone circuit. My old Rotel RA-611 (1970's) actually has a pretty crisp headphone output, for example. Hunt around for something second hand obviously. Try places like www.preloved.co.uk and Cash Converters.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4
My issue with buying old second hand amps is that I do not know enough to recognise a good deal or even one that has had it. I know potentially you could find an amp thats amazing value for money, but I am not so confident I could.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Found a NAD 3225PE on ebay, was wondering if that would be adequate to drive headphones as well as speakers. What would a second hand reasonable-ish condition be worth? £50~?

Also looking at a Scythe Karma Kro amp, though I am not too sure how well it drives headphones. £45~

I think its a really interesting question tbh. I mean if something can do both jobs for say under £70 ($100~) then it may well save people alot of money. I searched the threads on this forum and people are reccommending $300+ amps to do both but if you have that sort of money to dispose of, I don't understand why you would not just buy two individual amps for your headphones and your speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back