Budget Headphone Amp Build UK
Jan 16, 2012 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HighMasterGogo

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have been reading the head fi forums for a while now. The forums helped massively in choosing my first decent pair of headphones. I went for some DT770 PRO 80 which I got of ebay for £45 as the left side wasn't working. It was just a dry joint so I did extremely well there.

I power them with my Xonar DG sound card whilst at home. At work I simply plug them into my mac but I am not happy with the sound. I find myself reaching for the volume buttons even when they are up to the highest already.

There for I am looking into headphone amps. Being a tad handy with a soldering iron and after my last win I was thinking of building my own amp. Obviously the first amp I came across was the cmoy but I am after something more desktop based as it will stay at work. I then came across the Starving Student which seems ideal in terms of budget and intended use. My problem is sourcing the parts in the UK.

I have searched the forums and a few others have had the same issue but their budget has been much higher (£200+). My budget is circa £50.

So my question is can anyone recommend a headphone amp that I can easily source parts for in the UK and will suit my needs?

Massive thanks in advance for any advice!

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey TestSubject thanks for the quick reply.

From having a quick look at you thread it seems I can build a 12au7 version of the Starving Student? After googling it appears I get these for about £12 and they seem much more available.

OK I think I may be able to source everything now.

EDIT: I have just looked up the 12au7 SS schematic and initially it's looking much more hopeful! Will post back with any updates. Excited now!

Thanks again TestSubject.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Cheers TestSubject. I have got most of my components together now. I have also been reading through your thread which is great and very helpful. No doubt I will have lots of questions when I get started!

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey Rogan,

I have found RS Components have pretty much all the stuff you will need bar a couple of bits that I will be getting from maplin or ebay. They are quick with despatching too - the stuff I had was all in stock and it came the next day apart from a couple of bits which I expect will be here tomorrow.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 13
I just followed the BOM here http://diyforums.org/SSMH/SSMHoverview.php

I used that plus the variation diagram for the 12AU7 tubes. I am a not exactly an expert at electronics - the most I have ever done is a few repairs and basic kits from Maplins.

I have also been following TestSubjects thread on his Starving Student build using stripboard. I think I will most likely go down this route too instead of a PCB. Check out TestSubjects build thread it's very in depth and I think he used 12AU7 tubes or similar.

I will keep posting here as my project develops. Good luck!

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 13

cheers, lots of help!

Wheres the variation for the different tubes?
Quote:
I just followed the BOM here http://diyforums.org/SSMH/SSMHoverview.php

I used that plus the variation diagram for the 12AU7 tubes. I am a not exactly an expert at electronics - the most I have ever done is a few repairs and basic kits from Maplins.

I have also been following TestSubjects thread on his Starving Student build using stripboard. I think I will most likely go down this route too instead of a PCB. Check out TestSubjects build thread it's very in depth and I think he used 12AU7 tubes or similar.

I will keep posting here as my project develops. Good luck!

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 13
My build is currently on hold for the mean time. Moving house and building sheds at the mo! FUN!

Can anyone tell me what issues I may have if I am building into a steel enclosure? Will I have to do certain things because of ground issues?

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 13
It's been a while but I'm back onto this!

I've actually just finished a 12v 12au7 single tube amp from here:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7-IRF510-LM317-Headamp/

But it's no where near powerful enough for my DT770 80ohm. As you turn the volume up and near an OK enough volume, distortion sets in. From reading things about swing and current it seems that there just isn't enough power. It cannot power them anywhere near as much as my Asus Xonar DG sound card. Which is what I would like to try and match or even beat with a DIY amp.

It does make my JVC earbuds sound much better though.

I etched my own PCB for the single tube amp using Eagle PCB software. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get a Starving Student Millet Hybrid PCB Eagle design file? Having looked at the design I'm thinking it's not something you'd want to etch yourself as it's double sided with a ground plane?

If anyone knows where I can get a PCB for a SSMH I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back