Budget earphones or IEMs for exercising
Nov 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bk2006

New Head-Fier
Looking for some cheap (preferably under $50) IEMs or earbuds to use while exercising, and only for while exercising. I currently use CX300s but once they get a little sweaty they do not seal well for me. I am looking at in no particular order:

Sennheiser OMX 80
Sennheiser MX85
SoundMagic PL-30
Lenntek Sonix

The main qualities I am looking for is:

1. fit and staying put while moving
2. microphonics
3. sound quality

I also don't run in traffic so isolation, or lack of is not that important to me. Are there any other buds/IEMs out there that would be better suited for what I am doing?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 19
PL30 would be (and are) my choice. The (old version) Sonix might have a bit too much microphonics. Not sure about the new version though. I would maybe also look at the Meelec Ai-M6 from overstock (clear or black ones with the new cabling) and the Yuin PK3s if buds fit you. Buds probably wouldn't be affected by sweat as much.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 19
I got a set of the Lenntek Sonic Micro from Costco for $20, thy ssound pretty good and the cord doesn't tangle.

This was my 1st pair (new ipod) of IEM and I'm now thinking about the Lenntek pro and the Creative Zen Aurvana both $50 at Costco.

I've tried to find reviews here for both, so far not much though Gizmodo ranked the Creative Zen Aurvana right below the Shure SE110. (in the $100 to $140 category)

opinions here seem split 50-50 for and against

I have not seen much of anything about the Lenntek pro series, though with Costco's easy return policy I may demo both.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 19
I remember a few Head-Fiers auditioning those Aurvana IEMs when they first came out. The impressions they posted pretty much killed the Aurvana IEMs on this forum, so I would stay away. The lenntek Pro is something I want to try as well. I have read that they lack bass and that's about it.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions. Is there anything different with the red M6s? I don't see the clear or black ones on overstock. I'll add the PK3s, Ai-M6s, and the Lenntek pros to my list

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions. Is there anything different with the red M6s? I don't see the clear or black ones on overstock. I'll add the PK3s, Ai-M6s, and the Lenntek pros to my list

It was reported that the red ones from Overstock are still the old version with the much weaker cable. I'm not sure about the Lenntek Pros as noone around here has ever tried them, so I'd hold off on that.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 19
I run daily with my CX300's and LOVE them. (I also have the SE530's for more gentle use) I live in Scotland and run in the rain as well. Have you tried differnt sized tips? Maybe a bigger tip would do the trick for you.

Just a suggetion as these are my favorite HP for jogging and I was suprised to see this thread.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 19
I see you are looking for IEMs, but I have the same problem with sweat - they get slippery after a while, and - let's be frank - pretty disgusting after some time.
If you really are after a earphone/IEM, I suggest trying the JVC marshmallow, or better yet - FX66 (air cushion). I bought these for running/jogging and they have a pretty good seal and stay very firm inside my ears, although I didn't try exercising with them yet.
Don't you like behind-the-neck headphones? They will stay put, no matter rain or sweat.
wink.gif

Sennheiser has the PMX80 (behind-the-neck), which I am considering right now. And the Sporta Pro - but the foams might be a problem when sweating.
Just my suggestions.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you are looking for IEMs, but I have the same problem with sweat - they get slippery after a while, and - let's be frank - pretty disgusting after some time.
Don't you like behind-the-neck headphones? They will stay put, no matter rain or sweat.
wink.gif

You just made realize that I haven't exercised in at least a year.
confused_face.gif

That's when I started using IEMs seriously and I don't know how it feels like to sweat in them.
mad.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by So_Sweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally use the se210's! They stay in your ears because you run them over it.

Will take into consideration, little more than I wanted to spend, cheapest I saw was $80

Quote:

Originally Posted by basiltahan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run daily with my CX300's and LOVE them. (I also have the SE530's for more gentle use) I live in Scotland and run in the rain as well. Have you tried differnt sized tips? Maybe a bigger tip would do the trick for you.

Just a suggetion as these are my favorite HP for jogging and I was suprised to see this thread.

I played with a bunch of different tips, and got them to work great when I'm not moving a lot, but once I'm moving they just don't stay put. Plus I get a lot of microphonics with mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not that ive heard them but how about the CX380?

that should be exactly what you are looking for

I thought I had them on my list, guess I forgot.
confused_face_2.gif
My fear is that they look similar to the CX300s and again will not fit well while moving, though being in their sport line maybe they did change it enough to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really are after a earphone/IEM, I suggest trying the JVC marshmallow, or better yet - FX66 (air cushion). I bought these for running/jogging and they have a pretty good seal and stay very firm inside my ears, although I didn't try exercising with them yet.
wink.gif

Sennheiser has the PMX80 (behind-the-neck), which I am considering right now. And the Sporta Pro - but the foams might be a problem when sweating.
Just my suggestions.

That's why these are only for exercising and cheap, so I can replace them regularly. My worry with behind-the-neck headphones, is that I also listen to music at the gym and usually don't bother taking them off when I'm lifting, I worry about them getting in the way when I lay down on the bench. If they fit close enough I guess I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice. With everyone suggesting something different I'm no closer to a decision,
wink.gif
but I have a list to look at some more reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back