Budget desktop standalone DAC help
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Lx3A

New Head-Fier
Looking for advice on a good Budget standalone desktop DAC. Will connect from a PC>DAC>desktop amp>powered speakers/headphones. Either a good USB implementation or Optical connection. Doesn't need to be balanced. Not concerned with MQA or DSD. Just want a good sound for redbook quality audio. I'm familiar with Schiit Modi but they have a long production wait right now. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 19
use case? sonic preference? $$?

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 19
Use case is streaming or playing FLAC files from PC into primarily closed back headphones (Elegia) or sometimes powered speakers. Not sure I really have a defined sonic preference in this case, looking for opinions on best sound for the $. If someone is familiar with the Elegia headphones and has a recommendation based on those great. I'd say I'm loosely defining budget here as up to $300.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 19
EVGA sound card, change the opamp to discrete version from Burson. Budge too low for anything better.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 19
EVGA sound card, change the opamp to discrete version from Burson. Budge too low for anything better.
I appreciate the insight, I haven't heard anyone recommend a sound card over an external option and haven't thought about sound cards for years! Is there a reason for EVGA? I just checked their website and all say out of stock (I also see they used AKM chips).

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 19
I appreciate the insight, I haven't heard anyone recommend a sound card over an external option and haven't thought about sound cards for years! Is there a reason for EVGA? I just checked their website and all say out of stock (I also see they used AKM chips).
They partnered with Audio Note (the UK one) on their card and it’s a good low cost solution. You probably can get away with $150 all in with the Burson opamp. No need to spend more until you can save up to $1k.

If you don’t mind buying used, you can get a mojo 1 for 2-300 and just disconnect the battery for desktop operation.

I would rather save up and get something at around $1k rather than stop gap solution at $300.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 19
They partnered with Audio Note (the UK one) on their card and it’s a good low cost solution. You probably can get away with $150 all in with the Burson opamp. No need to spend more until you can save up to $1k.

If you don’t mind buying used, you can get a mojo 1 for 2-300 and just disconnect the battery for desktop operation.

I would rather save up and get something at around $1k rather than stop gap solution at $300.
I should have said that this is not my primary listening area, just where I hang out when family is around. I have high end stuff downstairs and this is my hang out desk with server pc for streaming video. Probably won't look to upgrade gear as frequently.

I definitely don't mind buying used. I'll look into the card solution with the Burson opamp. I'm excited you gave me a different solution I hadn't even thought of, thank you! I have not heard any Chord gear, would be interested to try an FPGA dac for first time so a used Mojo 1 will be on my list as well.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 19
I should have said that this is not my primary listening area, just where I hang out when family is around. I have high end stuff downstairs and this is my hang out desk with server pc for streaming video. Probably won't look to upgrade gear as frequently.

I definitely don't mind buying used. I'll look into the card solution with the Burson opamp. I'm excited you gave me a different solution I hadn't even thought of, thank you! I have not heard any Chord gear, would be interested to try an FPGA dac for first time so a used Mojo 1 will be on my list as well.
Your situation is similar to mine. All of my music is on the PC in mostly FLAC. I have been lazy about music but recently got back into it. I have read a ton of stuff this week about PC/phone setups & decided I didn't need a fraction of the budget I was gonna throw at it. Today I'll receive the fiio E10K-TC
A portable DAC/amp. No disrespect to the poster who mentioned a soundcard for most of your budget but its not the route i'd go. I'm no expert though. Just read a lot.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 19
Looking for advice on a good Budget standalone desktop DAC. Will connect from a PC>DAC>desktop amp>powered speakers/headphones. Either a good USB implementation or Optical connection. Doesn't need to be balanced. Not concerned with MQA or DSD. Just want a good sound for redbook quality audio. I'm familiar with Schiit Modi but they have a long production wait right now. Thanks!

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac-plus/

Is there a reason for EVGA?

1. Audionote

2. The head honcho's office looks like this:

I just checked their website and all say out of stock (I also see they used AKM chips).

That's just the reality right now with chip shortages. My brother has been in the queue to upgrade his 2070 Super since early 2021; I can't get in on it since my 1070 Ti is an MSI (then again I can just get his 2070 Super for now).

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 19
Today I'll receive the fiio E10K-TC
Let me know what you think of that. I'm looking for a separate dac as I may swap amps around a bit.

Have you tried this one? I thought about it as a good option. I'm skeptical that there is a meaningful difference in sub $500 D/S dacs sound-wise. Most of the price differences seem to be related to features and functions.

If the EVGA+Audionote card plus Burson opamp is well above some of these $100-$200 dacs in performance I may hunt that down. If its not much of a difference though, it may make more sense for me to get a desktop dac in case I eventually use it somewhere else in house, or sell.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 19
i have the fosiaudio q4, really nice, driving my beyerdynamic dt 770(80ohm); gives so much more detail than my normal PC output. so much more detail, knobs are a great feature, balanced sound but it is so much fun to just crank the bass all the way up.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Have you tried this one? I thought about it as a good option.

Only their ODAC but I haven't read a review that said the EL DAC sucks vs their ODAC so I can go with that one.

I'm skeptical that there is a meaningful difference in sub $500 D/S dacs sound-wise. Most of the price differences seem to be related to features and functions.

First thing I look for in a DAC is if it has the inputs and outputs I need.

Next I check reviews if there's a bad review of it not working properly (especially due to USB DACs, ie, now they can be affected by driver issues) and if the sound is noticeably screwed. Although I can hear one DAC being different from the other if I have to get a standalone DAC chances I need one to use and unless it's reviewed to be horrible then it'll at least be better than the headphone output on a smartphone.

Speaking of driver issues, Android screwed up USB audio with an update last year and I'm now using a DAP. FLAC files in local storage and use remote app to control with smartphone (connect to amp cable and then just lay it down behind the amp once the remote app is connected), Spotify streamed via BT from phone.

If the EVGA+Audionote card plus Burson opamp is well above some of these $100-$200 dacs in performance I may hunt that down. If its not much of a difference though, it may make more sense for me to get a desktop dac in case I eventually use it somewhere else in house, or sell.

The only reason to avoid it is the risk of something noisy in the computer that it can't filter out but if you're gonna use a computer anyway, might as well try. Maybe it won't be so bad that you can hear it over the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back