Budget Desktop Setup, mainly Spotify Premium
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phobos04

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, every now and then I come back for advice, so here I am.

The context
I work as a software engineer for entire days in front of a PC.
I'd like to listen to some music while programming. 

Actual setup
I mainly listen to Spotify Premium for its catalog size and simplicity.
I also have quite a bit of FLACs that TBH I don't listen to so often (my bad, I know).
The setup is as follows;
Windows PC (or, rarely, an iMac) -> Spotify Premium -> HRT Microstreamer -> Creative Gigaworks T20 II (or, rarely, superlux HD381 IEMs).

The goal
I'd like to upgrade my listening experience, while staying on the cheap side of things, without sacrificing SQ (of both Spotify and my FLACs) too much. I prefer full size over ear OPEN headphones because I don't like wearing closed headphones (e.g. sennheiser momentum over ear or hd 25 II) for long sessions.
I'd like to try some airier sound compared to the Momentums, which I overall find a bit too dark for my taste. Probably HD 25's better suite my taste, but they're uncomfortable for long listening sessions.
Depending on the options, my budget range is between 100€ and 300€.

The options
1. buy a pair of sehhneiser hd598 with my actual setup.
2. replace the HRT with an asus Xonar ST(x), and buy at least a pair of HD 598
3. buy a used schiit vali 1 (rev. b) for 100€ and a pair of better headphones (hd 600?, AKG K702?), and use my MicroStreamer as DAC only.
4. .. I'm open to suggestions :)

The questions
Do you guys think the schiit vali 1 is still a viable option? Or shoud I consider other options? TBH, I'm curious to try out some schiit amp!

Thank you all :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 12
If the HD25 suits your taste, you probably have a fairly V shaped taste. I would go for beyer options if you're looking for open backed V shape. HD598 and HD600 are most definitely not what I would consider V shaped. They're smooth and neutral. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Probably HD 25's better suite my taste, but they're uncomfortable for long listening sessions.

I think I need to clarify this a bit :)
The fact is that I like the Momentum's bass and mids, but I slightly prefer the HD25's highs.
I think the Momentums are just a bit too much laid back for my taste.

It's OK to look for more neutral headphones, considering I'd wear them for long sessions.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 12
I can say that the jump in SQ from the 598 to the 600 or even an HE400S is quite substantial. It's really quite a different listening experience altogether, actually. The biggest improvement in SQ in a system usually comes from upgrading headphones maximally. I like option 3, therefore.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

Another option on the "Beyer" side: I could probably find a decently priced used DT880 edition 600ohm.
I could couple them with an "upgraded" little dot mk II (with ALPS pot, better signal path rewiring and some spare tubes to roll). Or, alternatively, with a brand new and Made OTL with one 5998 and one ECC88 tubes.
The DT880+little dot exceeds my budget a bit, while the hand made is slightly cheaper, but I can't find reviews on this particular amp.

What do you guys think about these new 4.a and 4.b options for my needs?
Thank you again

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 12
I've just found an used pair of DT880 600 ohm, going that route.
I'll look for a decently priced OTL for them, or for some used Lake People amp, as they appear to match well with the beyers.

Reading here and elsewere, I've also ordered a pair of VE Monk plus, as they're cheap and they're earbuds (no IEMs for me for long listening sessions). I'll try to pair them with the HRT Microstreamer.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 12
  Hi guys,

what do you think about the Alo Audio Continental v5 paired with both the DT880/600 and the VE Monk Plus? Could these pairings work?

Thank you :)

It doesn't output much power and it's not OTL, it's a hybrid design. It is quite expensive too isn't it? It's $800 so I wouldn't really consider that budget. If you want OTL, the Schiit Valhalla 2 is good. If you want that tubey sound though, you will need to roll tubes. The stock tubes are very solid state sounding. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 12
  It is quite expensive too isn't it? It's $800 so I wouldn't really consider that budget. 

You're absolutely right. Forgive me, I din't mention I've found one 2 months old for less than 400€.
I know the amp alone exceeds my initial budget, but I was wondering whether it could be worth stretching the budget a bit.

Probably it's not, and I'd better look for a used valhalla or other otl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back