Budget DAP recommendation for a beginner?
May 14, 2016 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Alpheus0

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
So I've recently gotten into this whole audiophile scene. I have Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphones, and Yamaha EPH-100 IEMs, and a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. I love all of them, but now I want to be able to take my FLAC files with me, and my phone just won't cut it (in terms of storage or built in DAC). Unfortunately, I spent most of my budget on my P5s and didn't think about a DAP until later. I'm considering the Fiio M3, but I'm not sure about the audio quality. Is it worth the extra $45 for the X1? Or are there even better DAPs for a budget of around $150? I can move around a little if you convince me, but I'd like to save as much money as possible.
Thanks!

May 14, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 17
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi,

Fiio X1&X3 are known as some of the best value DAPs around. If you'd like to save even more, the AGPTEK IMP looks like a great budget option.

Review of it was just posted recently here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806115/review-agptek-lossless-mp3-player

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheus0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,
So I've recently gotten into this whole audiophile scene. I have Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphones, and Yamaha EPH-100 IEMs, and a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. I love all of them, but now I want to be able to take my FLAC files with me, and my phone just won't cut it (in terms of storage or built in DAC).

In terms of storage there are wireless storage expansion options that can allow the phone to stream the stored music on them. Total storage is larger than any single SD card today for not much larger than a DAP.

As for the DAC, it's not going to be a lot of difference if it's just the DAC we're talking about. What is more audible would be whether the audio chip on the phone - which is both its DAC and amplifier (think of how CPUs have iGPUs in them today, except DAC+amp chips have a more linear task flow) - and more specifically its amp section is distorting when driving a given headphone or earphone. As far as your earphones go, I highly doubt it; with the P5, you can avoid getting into distortion levels by using them where the noise floor is very low. Or given you have the Dragonfly anyway, just relegate the P5 to when and where you use the laptop, which is a lot quieter than the more usual situations where you use the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheus0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I spent most of my budget on my P5s and didn't think about a DAP until later. I'm considering the Fiio M3, but I'm not sure about the audio quality. Is it worth the extra $45 for the X1? Or are there even better DAPs for a budget of around $150? I can move around a little if you convince me, but I'd like to save as much money as possible.

It depends on what you're driving with them. The X1 was conceptualized to be a relatively powerful DAP but designed more for IEMs, hence lower gain (also lower output vs X3, but the same digital volume control steps), and its battery I think is smaller than the X3 but its specs allow for the battery life to be comparable. However it still has a lot of power - with 100mW per channel at 32ohms it can drive a lot of headphones very well.

The M3 by contrast uses an integrated audio chip, similar to but better than what you'd find in nearly all other mainstream devices, which helps the operating time despite the smaller battery. Still, the output power level is really more suited for IEMs, with the occassional Grado (although while the output level seems OK it doesn't have the current performance of a DAP with a circuit more akin to a portable amplifier) or similarly efficient headphone. Other ways to save battery life on this one also include a smaller screen, so you don't get the same kind of display as on the X1/X3/X5. Also, check confirmed microSD card capacity as the X1 might utilize larger capacity cards.

It's likely you can notice a difference in audio quality with the P5, and if you get other headphones later on, the X1 will be more useful. That said it comes down more to whether you're sure you'll lug the X1 around on top of your phone, which can be a problem depending on how your pants fit and if you carry a bag or not. If you get the M3, you're still restricted to just the IEM on the move (but in case your phone has a high output impedance then it will be an improvement in sound), but then just use the P5 and any other large headphone at home, and you might pick up an amp later anyway.

May 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 17
Oh, and one question: what make/model is your phone?

Sometimes people think that the DAC doesn't cut in their phone, but it's actually the headphone output. GSMArena tests phones both with their headphone output and their output to an amp, and often the non-headphone output is very good. In that case, you might go with a headphone amp and use high bit rate mp3s. In blind testing, many people often that contrary to what they think that the differences between 320K mp3 and flac are often indistinguishable: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test You'll find that many of us on Head-Fi just don't worry about flac as a result.

May 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 17
So far, I'm really liking the xDuoo X3.  I do not use the regular firmware and use Rockbox instead, which seems to be highly recommended if you pick up the DAP.  One of it's main benefits is it allows the use of two micro SD cards for a larger storage capacity than many DAPs around it's price.

May 14, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 17
May 14, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Right now this is what I'm leaning towards. Does the Imp need a headphone amp like the Fiio E6?

Just so you know, the output of your Nexus 6P tested very well when used with an external headphone amp, but crappy with headphones:
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_nexus_6p-review-1355p7.php

Consider what I said above about flac vs. 320K mp3. You could use a Fiio A3 and get great sound out of your phone.

May 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Just so you know, the output of your Nexus 6P tested very well when used with an external headphone amp, but crappy with headphones:
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_nexus_6p-review-1355p7.php

Consider what I said above about flac vs. 320K mp3. You could use a Fiio A3 and get great sound out of your phone.

Hmm, I might have to try that. Thanks very much!

May 21, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Nexus doesn't have a microSD slot? Lame trend...
confused_face.gif
Otherwise was going to say an external battery and a split USB cable might make Dragonfly usable OTG with your phone. Believe there are some people who have done that (AQ also have the new Red Dragonfly which iirc is supposed to work directly from phone usb, not to mention other similar devices like zuperdac, fiio etc...).

If you really just want a standalone DAP, I haven't used them but might also have a look at the xDuoo x2 and x3... along with fiio's m3/x1 seem to have overtaken Sansa Clip as favored budget DAPs around head-fi. If you can get up to $200 I have seen a lot of good reviews for the Shanling M2 and Hidizs AP100lately (recently shopping for something similar myself I ended up with Shozy Alien which sounds great but that is a whole other can of worms not having a screen and such...)

May 21, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Just to add in here - I have the Fiio X5 (original, there's now a second gen) and have been delighted with it. Recently added a Cayin C5 amp which improved the soundstage and overall warmth.
My advice would be get an X5 and a 128Gb card, then start saving for your second 128Gb card, then start putting the C5 on your Christmas list!

I tried out the Fiio amps, they didn't make enough of a difference.

The Cayin amp - theres another model for just a little more money which includes a DAC, which you could connect to your phone with an OTG cable, so that's another option.

But have no doubts or fears about Fiio's sound quality - very very nice!

Let me know if you think I can help further, very happy to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back