Budget DAC
Apr 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Henley224

New Head-Fier
Hello all

I've done some reading and searched this board but would like some assurance. The headphone jack on my laptop is buggered, i had previously used it to feed my audioengine a2's and ear buds. The sound wasn't great but i never had the impetus to remedy it, now i do. 

My question is what budget DAC to buy. I've read good things about the HiFimeDIY sabre DAC and at £35 delivered it seems like a bargain. Would i be better off with this of the FiiO E10 Olympus (£65)?

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 14
The HiFimeDIY sabre DAC is a good choice. But I am pretty sure you will need a headphone amp to go with it to use with your headphones.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 14
The HiFimeDIY sabre DAC is a good choice. But I am pretty sure you will need a headphone amp to go with it to use with your headphones.
it can be used as a headphone amp as well

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

May 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Another vote for the hifimediy sabre dac.  I had it and it was great.  Sound quality will be higher than the e10.  But the e10 has a built in amp and can get louder

May 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Hello all

I've done some reading and searched this board but would like some assurance. The headphone jack on my laptop is buggered, i had previously used it to feed my audioengine a2's and ear buds. The sound wasn't great but i never had the impetus to remedy it, now i do. 

My question is what budget DAC to buy. I've read good things about the HiFimeDIY sabre DAC and at £35 delivered it seems like a bargain. Would i be better off with this of the FiiO E10 Olympus (£65)?

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Have you found the Sabre on sale ?  Everywhere I look it is out of stock.
Thanks in advance !

May 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm also in the market for a budget DAC.

Compare other suggestions with the one in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

May 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 14
Consider what your other uses might be. For example, could use use a headphone amp with a portable media player? If so, separates might work better for you. You can get the HRT Music Streamer II for $99 in this open box deal. Then a C&C BH or Fiio E12 would put you in the same budget range as the Dragonfly. Only now you would have a headphone amp to use with an iPod or smartphone.

May 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Consider what your other uses might be. For example, could use use a headphone amp with a portable media player? If so, separates might work better for you. You can get the HRT Music Streamer II for $99 in this open box deal. Then a C&C BH or Fiio E12 would put you in the same budget range as the Dragonfly. Only now you would have a headphone amp to use with an iPod or smartphone.

What if your headphones are already amped? What difference would that make ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back