Budget DAC w/ Optical for A5s
Jun 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just started getting into quality computer audio set-ups. I am looking for a DAC that accepts optical in (from my Macbook Pro with Apple Lossless files) to output to my Audioengine A5s. I've been looking into the Zero (unreliable), 0404 (pricey) and super pro 707 so far... What DAC do you guys recommended that's under $160 (I can stretch this budget to $200 if need-be) to best work my interconnects and speakers?

I will be using it 95% for music playback and not recording, so an absolute neutral sound is not necessary. If anything, something that sounds a bit warmer would be nice...

Thanks!
dt880smile.png

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 16
I recently just purchased a Musiland SVDAC06. No one on these forums has reviewed one yet but if you go here: Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Valve Musiland SVDAC06 you can read about it and read the only review i've seen. They basically loved the way it sounded (17/20) and the only down side to it was the red LED that you can't turn off. Other then that, they loved it.

You can purchase one of these bad boys from a guy in China from ebay for $120 shipped. Mine should be coming sometime next week.
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently just purchased a Musiland SVDAC06. No one on these forums has reviewed one yet but if you go here: Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Valve Musiland SVDAC06 you can read about it and read the only review i've seen. They basically loved the way it sounded (17/20) and the only down side to it was the red LED that you can't turn off. Other then that, they loved it.

You can purchase one of these bad boys from a guy in China from ebay for $120 shipped. Mine should be coming sometime next week.
L3000.gif

Thanks, it looks pretty solid. I am seriously considering that or the Super Pro 707 now. Can anyone offer any insight to help me make a decision?

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 16
I have been reading great things about the NOS DACs from China (Valab, etc.), although I haven't listened to them. There is a Moodlab Concept for sale on the FS/FT forum for just under your budget.

Cheers

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scampo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading great things about the NOS DACs from China (Valab, etc.), although I haven't listened to them. There is a Moodlab Concept for sale on the FS/FT forum for just under your budget.

Cheers

Thanks, that looks like a good deal. My concern with NOS (from what I've been reading) is that it is extremely transparent. I will admit that I will not be listening to Lossless sources all the time. I have a lot of music that are high quality MP3s. Will going NOS make the sound more harsh?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 16
You are going to get a lot of different opinions about NOS and modern oversampling DACs. What it really comes down to is finding a sound you like, which is hard to do online unfortunately. And to be honest, once you start using an external DAC, you are going to notice the difference in quality between MP3's of various bit rates and Lossless. You'll just get more resolving power. At least with anything better than a 270x based DAC(ala Alien, Bantam, Silverstone EB01, FUBAR) that will be the case..

I was looking at the SVDAC06 and it looks like a nice unit, although there are opinions again that the SVDAC05 might be a bit better(at a higher price though), and I decided to jump on the bandwagon for AMB's new baby the Y2.

There's an interesting SuperPro 707 USB mod thread on the DIY forum here too, although hopeless is saying the new model is pretty nice unmodded.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are going to get a lot of different opinions about NOS and modern oversampling DACs. What it really comes down to is finding a sound you like, which is hard to do online unfortunately. And to be honest, once you start using an external DAC, you are going to notice the difference in quality between MP3's of various bit rates and Lossless. You'll just get more resolving power. At least with anything better than a 270x based DAC(ala Alien, Bantam, Silverstone EB01, FUBAR) that will be the case..

I was looking at the SVDAC06 and it looks like a nice unit, although there are opinions again that the SVDAC05 might be a bit better(at a higher price though), and I decided to jump on the bandwagon for AMB's new baby the Y2.

There's an interesting SuperPro 707 USB mod thread on the DIY forum here too, although hopeless is saying the new model is pretty nice unmodded.

According to the Pacific Valve website there reviewers said that the 06 was more detailed and spacious then the 05. Also at a value standpoint, the 06 wins hands down. Heres what they said about the 05: Quote:

It is not as spacious as the SVDAC06, but does not have it
coloration in the high end. Slightly constricted throughout
the frequency spectrum

And the 06:
Quote:

Enjoy an appreciable amount of detail and space that will
blow away your budget audiophile DAC. This is where the
SVDAC06 excels. Because of its neutral midrange and
above average bass response, the SVDAC06 becomes very
listen able for the money.

I guess it depends on what you like. To each his own.
wink.gif

My 06 should be arriving sometime this week! I will let you guys know how it sounds.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't see that review on their site.. It does look like a nice unit for sure, and great value for the money. Looking forward to your impressions..
wink.gif

Ya its a bit hard to find. If you click on a product you will see another link near the center of the page mentioning reviewers from the water coolers or something weird like that. Click on that and you will get a pop up with a review and score.

I can't wait either!
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 16
While I'd like to read your review of them first since you seem to be in a similar situation/ mindset as me, I'm gonna have to jump the gun on the SVDAC06. There's this damn ebay coupon that expires June 30th. I was about to purchase a used set of M-00s, S-00 sub, and PVC volume control for around $575 when coupled with "bing" (shudder) cashback unless I could find something else to get on ebay. This thread just saved my wallet.

Though I'd rather have the audio-gd compass, thinking of spending $50 just for shipping and the price increase would make me want to vomit and feel raped if I bought them. Plus they're not on ebay so I can't use my coupons.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was about to purchase a used set of M-00s, S-00 sub, and PVC volume control for around $575

Pricewise, that's not a bad deal. Brand new it'd be 750, but you'd also get a S-20. Still, good price. Jump on it and couple it with a nice DAC and you'll be in the world of audio bliss.

my $0.02

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 16
I was about to bit the bullet on the Moodlab but I just realized I would probably want a headphone amp too, to use with my MDR-V6s. So the Moodlab is out of the question as I don't plan on buying a headphone amp anytime soon...

$120 shipped from eBay on the Musiland sounds great. Does the SVDAC06 offer a warmer, less fatiguing sound than the Moodlab?

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Actually, I am now considering buying a separate headphone amp as I will probably upgrade my headphones in the near future. So would your guys' recommendation be for the MoobLab + a sub-120 dollar amp, or just the SVDAC06?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back