Budget DAC that works with USB and Toslink
Apr 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

loic54

New Head-Fier
I need a bit of advice, and I didn't really find anything after searching. I recently bought a Matrix M-stage amp, so I'm in need of a DAC.

So... all the DAC's that I saw include an amp, but wouldn't that be redundant?

I also need the DAC to be able to work with USB and Toslink (to be used with my macbook), I'm not really looking for something portable. My budget is around $150-200.

Thanks for your input!

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Musical Fidality V-DAC is considered very good and punches well above its weight. Comes with USB connection also.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 5
You could also look into the Chinese super pro 707. It uses the same dac and receiver chips as the headroom micro dac, and is about 1/3rd the price. However, there is more to a dac than just the chips, and I don't know how the rest of the two dacs compare.....

They seem to get pretty good reviews though, although I still haven't heard one, so take this with a grain of salt.... =P

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 5
I can second the recommendation of the Super Pro 707 - I have the black one from DIYkits. It's a great sound and relatively cheap. While I've since upgraded, its been a great option whenever I needed a optical DAC in a pinch.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks! I'll give the Super Pro 707 a spin and see how they perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back