Budget DAC for Laptop
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CanKneez

New Head-Fier
Hello world! I'm new here so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. =P

Anyway, I have a G74SX laptop and a pair of DT 770 Pro 250ohms headphones. I also have a .22 ordnance amp to power them since I use my iPod mostly, but I am thinking of switching to my laptop since I won't have to worry about space. Portable players are getting more expensive than it needs. =.=

The laptop sound quality sucks (as usual) so I am looking for a DAC. Any recommendations? Price range 50-75USD/CAD (I currently live in Canada).

I mainly listen to a lot of music. Prefer bass (yes, I am a bass head). Game audio is secondary, no where as important to me as music. I'm not sure if this helps, but I use lossless files.

Please and thanks for the help! =]

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 10
The fiio E10 but i'm not sure if it will drive 250ohm headphones, you might be better off spending a bit more and getting the fiio e7/e9 combo which will have no problem with 250ohm.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
The fiio E10 but i'm not sure if it will drive 250ohm headphones, you might be better off spending a bit more and getting the fiio e7/e9 combo which will have no problem with 250ohm.

well, I already have the amp to drive the headphones, so I really just need a DAC. My room mate just got his E11 and I thought it was okay. I was thinking outside the Fiio series. Just a thought of course. =] But thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
I'd suggest running the Asus U3 into your amp, personally. 

I was reading a bit about the U3. Though, It's been getting a rather mix view on it here wasn't it? I wouldn't mind trying it though, but it would be best if I could just buy one and not get it exchanged for something else. Don't like regretting a purchase. XD

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm also interested in a good recommendation here. As far as standalone DACs go I've really only seen a couple in the OP's price range. The creative X-Fi 5.1 is available around $60 on amazon but it sounds like the X-Fi HD would be a better fit for the cans. I've been considering something like iio E7 or iBassio D-Zero for their built in amps, since it's also for my laptop and having them combined means less to carry/connect.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Quite a few posters on avforums recommend the Behringer UCA202 for a budget DAC which produces good sound quality to connect Laptop>Behringer UCA202>Amp>Speakers.

Does anyone with this device have any opinions on using it for a headphone DAC and to maybe connect to headphone amplifier? Quality?

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back