Budget DAC + Amp (EU) for DT770 and HD600
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
So, my HD600 will come in any day. In preparation for next months paycheck, i'm planing to get a new DAC and Amp to drive all this stuff. My 770 are the 80Ohm Version Btw.

What i "need"
- DAC should do 24/192
- USB only (no optical or analog needed, but i'll take it if it's got it)
- Desktop Device (will only be used at home at my Win 10 Machine)
- HP only, i don't need other outputs, or inputs really.
- Can be single device or stack
- Budget: 300€ maybe 350€

Although i might like a schiit stack, shipping and taxes to germany make it Double the price (for the Magni/Modi Combo). I can get the O2/ODAC Full Mod for 300€, which is on the top end of what i'd like to spend. I also heard great things about the Meier-Audio Rock, which would be in Budget but i'd need a DAC to go along with it. Any other devices i should consider?

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd say the Schiit Stack is absolutely perfect for you, but the price issue in terms of shipping is annoying for sure. The O2 and ODAC is definitely second best in that budget. I think it's worth spending almost your total budget on the O2. It has the potential to be the only dac and amp you'll ever need.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 8
So, did some further research. I'd like some input on two other options
- Aune x1s
- JDC the element

Both look like quality options. The Aune would be the cheapest option for me. The Element looks nice and Reviews are positive, it's on the expensive side though. Any thoughts on those?

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Ok, really, i'm not getting anywhere. The more i read the more everything looks the same. It's getting really confusing now. I'd just like a dac and amp (single devices or combined) with usb input. Sub 400$ (ideally sub 200$ and cheaper gets bonus points). It needs to drive the HD600 and nothing else really. I don't currently have dsd material (best i have is 24/192) but think having it in the dac when i need it down the line might be nice. The Problem with most solutions is, i won't be able to listen to them. A list with what i came up with (more for my own organization, but feel free to chime in on what's "best")
- JDS Element (380€)
- JDS ODac/O2 Combo (280€)
- Topping A30/D30 Stack (230€)
- nano iDSD LE (150€)
- meier-audio corda rock (220€) maybe with 2i2 or odac
- Schiit Magni/Modi non Uber Stack (300€ after shipping plus taxes, so around 350€)
- Aune x1s (280€)
- micro iDAC2 (370€)
- Fiio E10k (80€)
- Panda Stack (290€) DAC and AMP only without PSU

From specs they all basically look the same more or less. All support 24/192, some do DSD. As i see it all will be able to drive my HD600. Since i'm on the Desk only for listening, size doesn't decide it either. In the US it would be the easy solution going with schiit. But it's over 150$ more expensive after importing it to the EU which seems to make it less of a good deal.

Is there anything on that list that pokes out in terms of value and pure performance? Anything that's substantially better than anything else? Or do i just buy what looks nicest???

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 8
From that list I would say go for the Element, O2, or Schiit Stack. Don't bother with the E10k, it's a bit weak for your 600's.

As for the DSD, as long as the dac can do 24/192 it'll be able to handle DSD64 using DoP. "DSD over PCM" will measure the exact same as native DSD64. People think DoP downsamples or messes with the DSD stream but that simply isn't true. I wouldn't worry about any of that anyway unless its a life and death matter of playing DSD128 or higher, which is very very close to pointless unless you have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear.

Back to the point, I like the Schiit products for the 600/650

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 8
My picks from your list would be

1st place: JDS Labs Element, it's just a cracking piece of kit for the price
2nd place: JDS Labs O2/ODAC combined, but if I were you I'd get the O2 with OL-DAC stack, again excellent sound for the price, very neutral
3rd place: Topping stack, this is my work setup but the output impedance is quite high, so the above 2 options are better if you are ever going to be using low impedance headphones.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back