budget DAC (<$500) with digital and USB input?
Apr 27, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kitaoji

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm planning to create a new non-computer-based music playing system using Savitmicro's Rapsody RSH-100 (see http://www.savitmicro.co.kr/eng/product/tv/rapsody_info.htm for the specs) as a hard drive enclosure to store my music files.

It probably isn't an audiophile-grade (even entry level) system, but it does have a digital optical output, which I hope to add in a DAC before connecting to my amp (Gilmore Lite or Headfive) and then to my headphones.

The thing is... I need a decent DAC. I'm using the Echo Indigo DJ's line out to the Lite, but it's not an option I can use with the Rapsody. The Aria DAC is a USB-DAC, which might not work with the Rapsody either (the Rapsody can act as a USB host, but I'm not sure if this works well with DACs like the ARIA).

So I'm looking for a DAC that can accept both digital optical input from the Rapsody as well as USB from my laptop, so I don't have so many pieces of equipment connected around my room.

So far I've found some expensive options - the Apogee MiniDAC and the Headroom Desktop amp, both of which are beyond my budget (I guess I could sell off the Gilmore Lite and the Echo Indigo, plus some headphones I have to get the Desktop). Supposedly there's a Yamaha DP-U50 that's currently out of production - would this help? (Since it's within my budget).

Are there any other options? It would help a lot.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 13
you mean spdif and usb into the same dac?...instead of a hyper expensive option like that, why not get a usb>spdif converter and connect those two digital signals to a two-digital signal dac like a VDA2 or zhaolu? (it would cost less).

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 13
The DIYEDEN Great-March has Toslink, coaxial and USB digital inputs. I got mine for about $200. Great sounding DAC.

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the replies, but now I'm getting completely confused by the various kinds of digital/optical connectors.

What is Toslink? According to the pics on wiki, it's a squarish jack with a small cylinder inside, but on the Micro DAC, the optical input is purely circular (with a cylinder inside as well). Apart from the shape - is it the same?
confused.gif
Are there such cables available?

Also, how would I setup the output on foobar? I would be bypassing the Echo's DAC or my soundcard... does the computer recognize the DAC like a soundcard (no?) so how do I feed the signal?

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji
What is Toslink? According to the pics on wiki, it's a squarish jack with a small cylinder inside, but on the Micro DAC, the optical input is purely circular (with a cylinder inside as well). Apart from the shape - is it the same?
confused.gif
Are there such cables available?

Optical digital connections come to two physical formats, the 'squarish' one is the more common, but the round one is popular in smaller form factor items. You can get an adapter from the square to the 1/8" round from RadioShack or other places. Or, you can get a cable that goes directly from square to round.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Yup, there are two (main) ways to send a digital signal through a cable: optical (TOSLINK) and coaxial. The optical one is the the squarish jack and the coaxial jack looks just like an RCA, but will be labeled either S/PDIF (which just means "digital") or coaxial. Looks like that input jack on the Micro DAC accepts both! Pretty neato. Actually, it requires a micro optical plug, which is just a slimmer version of the regular plug; this conversion can be done by simply buying a cable that goes optical->micro optical or using a regular TOSLINK cable with a converter on the end, as BradJudy told ya.

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks, it's nice to know that Toslink and Digital Optical are the same. ^_^
Although sometimes I see Coax as digital and it's also RCA (2 jacks)... how does this work?

And also, how does one go about choosing a DAC? Is there a versatility in the chips/circuitry in DACs, i.e., whether or not one goes well with a particular amp (Lite and HeadFive in my case)?

Since my setup's pretty "cheap" right now (varying qualities of mp3s and other compressed formats, and a few lossless files), would it be okay (but against Head-Fi principle
icon10.gif
) to get something cheap as well? There's the DP-U50, which seems to accept a whole bunch of inputs and has a couple of DSPs (useless w/o the computer), but I'd think it's chip isn't as great as the MicroDAC. Has anyone heard the Yamaha unit? (It was around several years back.) What would be the most cost effective solution?

May 2, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Good to know that the MicroDAC will work
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat lacking the funds to get the MicroDAC - my plans for the external enclosure will be delayed a few months, and I don't want to get more equipment while relatives are around
tongue.gif
But at least this clears things up a lot - so I can use a USB to S/PDIF converter (later)

Also, how does one go about choosing a DAC?
confused.gif
The most obvious answer is "by your ears", but that also depends on the source (mp3 files of bright anime soundtrack) and amp (Gilmore Lite/ Aria).

At least, this will give me some time to save up money for the MicroDAC. Are there any other equally as good options? (the Zhaolu seems good and I might get relatives to get it in China directly, but I won't be able to listen to it until it gets here).

May 2, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 13
0000011100_1170.jpg

Rather awesomely the MicroDAC uses three digital inputs. The optical/coaxial plug socket is dual use, depending on the switch position...

I'm going for a MicroDAC, but I'm guessing my living in the UK will make it closer to $400.
plainface.gif

Had a picture of my optical lead in my photobucket account, this one is too short, I had to order another one.

OpticalLead.jpg

The optical-out on my soundcard is pink! Is all optical light in pink??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back